nagant revolver change out cyl

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I've got a nagant revolver. had it for years and years. recently while at my house my buddy was looking at it.. etc.. fast forward to lunch today... he hands me a peper baggie.. has a cyl in it and he says it's a replacement cyl for the nagant.. he wasn't sure of the caliber.. maybee 32acp? he said he got it ys ago with some other stuff ina trade and has never had a use for it. it was free.. so i accepted it graciously :)

now... how do i install that thing? and does it require moon clips or is the cyl graduated to catch the cartridge mouth lip? ( like the graduation that prevents a 357 going into a 38spl etc?

lastly.. can I assume this repalcement chamber is safe for modern 32acp? and is this a 'good' conversion' IE.. is bore size well matched to this projectile.. or does it tumble out the bbl ? are pressures int he 32acp similar / less than the oen nagant ammo? ( and is it 32acp? buddy wasn't sure? )

thanks for any info that can be provided.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They made, some years back when the Nagants were everywhere at the surplus stores, 32 ACP cylinders, 'cause 32 Nagant was hard to find and expensive when you did. I think they also made cylinders in 32 S&W Long, but won't swear to that. Could be old age is catchin' up with me.

Anyway, the 32 ACP is not rimless, but is a "semi-rimmed" case, as you can see in this picture. Rim, while not as "pronounced" as a normal revolver rim, is there and is plenty big enough to work in a revolver.

[​IMG]

32 ACP is lower pressure than the Nagant round, so is perfectly safe to fire in the gun.

Here's how to switch it out.

http://www.centuryarms.com/manuals/nagant/index.htm
  3. soundguy

appreciate it!
  4. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Why not shoot the 7,62 nagant ammo? www.aimsurplus.com is offering the russian surplus nagant ammio right now and J&G sales has it too. Bill
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

17 dollars a box, plus shipping, for corrosive ammo with non-reloadable brass?
  6. soundguy

i hear prvi /pmi/ppu is getting 20$ a box for new boxer brass / 50 rounds. seems better way to go than berdan surplus.. IMHO..

plus.. if I switch to 380.. I can relaod for 2 other firearms I have.. thus atching 3 at a time
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Typing with gloves on, so your fingers couldn't see the keys? :p

I'm sure you meant "switch to 32". Trying to push a 355 bullet down that 312 barrel would probably be harmful.
  8. soundguy

no gloves.. just small keyboard. i don't have a real PC.. I use a mobile device.. super small screen and KB.. :)
  9. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

The factory cylinder on the nagant will fire 32 short, 32 long and 32 h&r mags (although the 32 h&r mags are supposed to be on the higher end for pressure if you are reloading). I have shot 32 longs through my nagant with no problem, the led bullet seems to obturate well and accuracy is good for plinking. Sometimes the cases of these rounds will expand enough to stick in the cylinder as well. For a while buffalo arms was selling nagant new production brass. I have gotten multiple reloads with these. I use a m1 carbine taper crimp die so the brass does not get too worked. Grafs sells nagant wadcutter bullets. 3gn of trailboss seems to be the best load I have found for these.
    I have heard that the 32 acp cylinders will often take some fitting because of the loose manufacturing tolerances of the nagant pistols. I plan on getting one of these some day. I think usually the 32 acp cylinders are smooth side.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  10. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

11. soundguy

huh? 32 short and 32 long fit fine and are safe to shoot?
  12. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I heard something about one of them .32 rounds (Not the 32 ACP) having the case mouths split. Or was that shootin the same stuff out of the regular cylider? It doesn't matter, None of the .32 uses the Nagant's gas seal, so I only fire the real stuff.
  13. soundguy

without the oem gas seal, are there any chamber erosion issues?
  14. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I have several Nagants and bought one of the cylinders some years back to try out. The new 32 acp cylinder worked in one or two Nagants but not in others. Often the 32 acp cylinders need to be fitted to each individual revolver. This usualy involves some work on the ratchet, which should be done by an experienced pistol smith.

The original factory Nagant cylinder will fire .32 S&W long but the cases bulge. There may be a case rupture now and then. Shooting this ammo does no harm as long as the revolver is properly cleaned. There are people who shoot 32 H&R Magnum in the Nagant, I have not tried this, and I have no intention of doing so.

Many M95 Nagant revolvers are found to be extremely accurate with proper ammo and many people enjoy shooting their Nagants.
  15. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

Every once in a while you can find the old yellow box target ammo for these. They are loaded with wadcutters. Mine appear to be lead, but I've never pulled one to see for sure. The rounds shot with the gas seal make more of a bang, while the 32 smith longs make more of a loud pop. PRVI and S&B put a pretty severe crimp on their ammo, so quite a few will split.
  16. soundguy

yeah, why the heavy crimp?
  17. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

I know, right. The M1 carbine taper crimp works perfect. Maybe they think that they need the crimp to fit in the forcing cone, but I've never seen milsurp with that much crimp.
  18. soundguy

if it was longer maybee the forcing cone.. hmm.. makes ya wonder
  19. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Russian ammo has a taper crimp to fit the forcing cone. For this reason case mouth cracks are rare.

The sharp shoulder crimp of Fiochi and other non-Russian manufacturers of the 7.62 Nagant revolver cartridge tends to cause case mouth cracks. I wish they would learn from the Russians how to make this cartridge.
  20. soundguy

yep.. we were just wondering why the drastic crimps on the non oe ammo..