Nagant revolver

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by johnsxdm, Nov 23, 2012.

1. RJay

RJay Active Member

As far as ammo, at one time Nagant ammo was rare and had to ordered at 45 bucks a box. Now it seems to be everywhere and in price comparison to 32 S&W and .32 magnum, there is no reason not to use the correct ammo. JMHO:)
  2. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

m1 as in carbine?
  4. PMK

PMK Former Guest

Boil some water.
  5. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

Yup, just run it enough into the m1 carbine taper crimp die to taper the case, this is what holds the bullet in, that way you still get the gas seal. The surplus ammo is loaded this way, not like the prvi stuff with the extreme crimp.
  6. soundguy

iaw some at a gun show tha had a sloping taper crimp vs the weird indented shoulder crimp i have seen in some other loads..
  7. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I went the cheap&esy route and got the Lee Nagant die set, and set up a turret for my press for it. 300 pieces of .32-20 brass should last the rest of my shooting life. No, it does NOT do the gas seal - which is totally unnecessary anyway. Far less trouble not having to figure a way to do the funky crimp - loads lke any other revolver cartridge. A buddy casts our bullets, and Magtech makes some good cast lead 98 grain bullets too. Very economical to load and shoot. Nearly as cheap as a .22LR revolver to shoot these days.
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Is this something you heard or experienced? I shoot 32 longs all the time in mine and they are the most accurate rounds I have fired from mine. I do not get lead shearing and have fired 3 50 round boxes at times and no so called lock up. Not saying it wont happen, but it dont in my copy. I also do the scotch tape trick to get the cases to fill the chamber better. It works perfect. I also shoot 32HR mags from mine with zero problems. I also have a bunch of the 108 grain flat tip fmj and 88 grain fmj rn. Both have alot more power than the privi or fiocchi loads that are barely 32 long power level.

I use mine with the longs for rabbit hunting and have been known to shoot coons with 32HR mags with 85 grain XTPs at 1167fps, about the same power as the Russian surplus fmj stuff.

Its a fun gun for sure and they are cheap. Everyone should own one!
  9. soundguy

please expound on the scotch tape trick?

paper patching .. or similar?
  10. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

It sounds like wrapping the case so it doesn't expand and stick to the inside of the cylinder
  11. soundguy

i was thinking more of gas seal than non stick? but?
  12. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Wrap a single layer of scotch tape around a 32 long will help it fill the chamber better. It dont stop the bulge, it just centers it in the chamber better. The brass expands enough to keep blowby gas in check with or without the tape. The tape trick does not work on 32HR mags though, it has thicker brass and will not fit with the thin layer of tape.

Try it. Wont hurt and only helps it fit the cahmber better.
  13. soundguy

interesting, thanks.. I'll file that away with my nagant stuff.
  14. Max Donovan

Max Donovan New Member

Nagant pronouncement: The Nagant brothers were Frenchmen. The pronounced their name naw-gaw. The vowel sounds like the aw in awful and the final n and t are silent. No accent on either sylible. And, by the way, Eibar is spronounced A-bar. with a long A like in May or day. When I was there, the city guide told me that only Americans and Germans say eye-bar. Enjoy.
  15. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Sorry, they were Belgians, not Frenchmen.

BTW, in a related topic the Russians say "Nagan" not Nagant.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013