Nambu 18.9 95%+, all matching value, please

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vlad0002, Nov 6, 2009.

1. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Hi again,

I have recently came across another pistol at Cabelas, a nice, all matching, including magazine, Nambu with the date code 18.9. Everything is perfect, clearly marked, bore is mint. Top of the extractor is marked with red paint, that looks original.

The store wants $600 for the gun. Would you guys help me to determine if that's a good deal, please?

Thanks.

Vlad

Attached Files:

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

thats about the correct price for something like this, i've seen these bring more. it's a collectable so if thats what you're looking for the price is fair. are you looking to collect or shoot ?
  3. zb338

zb338 New Member

If you are looking to collect, go for it. If you are looking to
    shoot it. FORGET ABOUT IT.

Zeke
  4. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thanks, guys. I was thinking about it for my collection. However, 1-2 times a year I shoot all my guns, even the most expensive ones (2-3K). I know, some people think it's stupid and a potential mishap can ruin the value, but somehow it's an important ritual for me, keeping the gun's "spirit" alive, I suppose...

Vlad
  5. dartswinger

dartswinger New Member

Your pics made me bawl like a baby! In 1996 I had 2 just like that, in full holsters (one leather, one canvas or ruberized what ever that was) the leather one had shoulder strap and belt and I, like a fool; traded them for 2 new 9mms. I kept the waist belt from the one holster for myself until I just got too 'robust' to wear it. Sold that belt, just the leather belt with only one small indistinguishable marking on Ebay last month for $175. I'm still trying to get back on the chair...
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yes, the price is about what this pistol is worth, especially if the magazine matches the serial number.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think I would make an offer. IMHO, that is high for that pistol, since it is about the most common and appears to have some rust.

As for shooting it, there is no supply of ammo. Some turns up from time to time made from other cases but nothing reliable. That is a 1944 gun, but there is no safety issue; with good ammo, it should work OK. Do not dry fire that pistol; they are notorious for breaking firing pins. I don't know of any source for snap caps, but maybe something can be improvised.

Jim
  8. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I bought one of these awhile back for my "collection". I was a member of the Commerative Airforce, and we had a Zero in the squadron. I had plans to sign up to pilot it during airshows (gotta have the togs). They never returned the plane to airworthy status, but I still have the pistol. ;)

Bullets are an expensive commodity, and are hard to come by.. The last time I shopped awhile back, I think originals were something like $10, reproductions $5 per bullet. :eek:

Never did find a holster. a .45 is pretty close.
  9. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

IRRC, suitable cases can be formed from .40 S&W, The real test comes finding correct size bullets.
  10. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

11. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

If the mag is matching, the price is mid-retail. If not, try to get it for $500-550..
    These actually shoot very well and probably have the best trigger of all pre-1945 semi-autos.. The original ammo is pricey. Newly made ammo is about $1 a pop...
    "Mr. Nambu" makes very good ammo for these - you can look it up on "auctionarms.com"
    auction number 10709299
    good luck.
  12. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Please define "matching". Is that by metal patina, or some sort of serial number?
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a tad expencive , like jim said, money talks , pull $500 out and say take this thats all its worth

and see ..
  14. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

I just realized that the original post was made about 2 years ago...
    By "matching" I mean matching the last 3 digits of the guns serial number...
  15. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

Nambus can be pleasant to shoot, if you can come with affordable ammunition. The one I used to own was not as nice as the one in vlad0002's picture, but with Midway lead-bullet ammo, it had light recoil, a nice trigger pull, and surprisingly good sights. The grip angle is good too, but the safety catch is an ergonomic disaster.