Name Your Favorite Author?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taurus_9mm, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I'm just curious what types of books our fellow forum members enjoy and who their favorite authors are?

My favorite is Harry Turtledove, a Historian who writes books on both alternate history and fantasy, although the latter doesn't interest me.

I've ready most of his work though regarding alternate history and he has a solid grasp on the events that occured as well as the historical figures that played roles in said events.

A couple of his that I enjoyed off the top of my hear were 'Guns of the South', which involved time travelers from the future supplying the Confederacy with AK-47s during the Civil War and the duology 'Days of Infamy' & 'End of the Beginning' where Japan not only attacks Hawaii but invades and conquers the islands during WW2 - at least until the US is strong enough to return.

http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/turtledove.html
  2. Craiglylesa1

Craiglylesa1 New Member

robert heinlein, wrote my fav book anyway. starship troopers.
  3. Road America

Road America Member

I guess my favorite author would be Issac Asimov - science fiction and real science books. O Henry is (was) great too. I never heard of Harry Turtledove, and I never thought much of alternative history books - but I have to admit the idea of the Confederates having AK-47's is a pretty cool idea. Yikes!!
  4. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

James A Michener, the author of 40 titles most of them Novels. My favorite being Centennial.
  5. For current writers, I would have to say David Weber and Tom Clancy. For writers no longer producing, it would be Robert A. Heinlein for sure! :D
  6. 94z07

94z07 New Member

1. Patrick O'Brian
    2. Frank Herbert
    3. C.S. Forester
    4. Bernard Cornwell
    5. James Gardner
    6. Tom Clancy
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Red Storm Rising, Red October, Patriot Games, No Remorse, and Debt of Honor are a few books I have read from Tom Clancy. So I reckon Tom gets my vote as my favorite author. I believe I may have read a couple more of his books but their titles escape me at the moment. It has been a while since I have read any book.
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Allan Eckert. I have read All of his narratives on our history and the man really had an attention to detail. My wife and I took the time to travel Ohio and the surrouding states locating the places he wrote about and the detail was second to none.
  9. 94z07

94z07 New Member

I read that book, on the bounce, of course. :D I remember my surprise at how the MI was coed in the movie.

I enjoyed I Robot. My eyes teared up as I read the story of Robbie.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  10. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Current author: John Grisham. I know he writes pretty much "formula books" but I like them, anyway.

In college I was introduced to John Milton, and he is, by far, the most amazing writer I've ever come across. Reading "Paradise Lost" was like Godiva Chocolate for the brain!
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

Tom Clancy, Stephen Ambrose, Stephen Hunter and Richard Marcinko in that order. :)

Art
  12. shiftyer1

shiftyer1 New Member

I'm a little simple minded I guess. I enjoy louis lamour and other authers similar.
  13. B 'n B

B 'n B New Member

Joseph Wambaugh Sue Grafton ( mystery ) and Dick Francis .

I have to say , years ago I read Hunt for Red October and I literally couldn't put it down. I started reading it in the afternoon and stayed up until 4 A.M. .
  14. Lori Mick

Lori Mick New Member

I was a Sidney Sheldon fan forever and read all of his books! I loved his style and his story lines.
    I enjoy Sandra Browne books, and lately reading Anne Coulter and Chuck Norris.
  15. pawn

pawn New Member

Stephen King, Dark Tower Series
  16. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Dostoevsky. His works are timeless.