narrow grip panels

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

bg
    (12/29/01 3:55:15 pm)
    Reply narrow grip panels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How do,first time at this watering hole.I have a ser.80 and
    flat love it.I better after spending way too many bucks
    getting it where it is! My ? is,have any of ya out there
    ever use "Slim-Tech" grip panels?I only have part of my
    shootin hand and they were kinda small from the start.
    I've changed to a flat mainspring housing and that helped
    a lot.Any help,my thanks.bg

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/29/01 4:03:01 pm)
    Reply Re: narrow grip panels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello and welcome bg, I'm not familiar with Slim-Tech, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can get you caught up to date with any/all 45 accessories.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/29/01 4:57:13 pm)
    bg, welcome to the forum. The Slim -Tech grip panels are great if you want a slimmer grip. As you have already gone to a flat mainspring housing, have you installed a short trigger ? This will make the shooting grip even smaller. Just a thought.

warpig883
    (12/29/01 8:50:16 pm)
    Welcome to the forum BG. Enjoy and have fun.

Shooter .45 how much slimmer are these than the stock Colt grips on my Series 70. I thought these were slim, are ya saying there is slimmer?
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

bg
    (12/29/01 10:09:20 pm)
    Reply thank you kindly folks.
    I just want to say thanks for a friendly welcome aboard.
    I had a pair of these for an officer's model.They were
    really sweet.Rosewood and laser engraved with the
    rampage horse in the center.They were also double
    diamond and flat checkered.I woulda kept them,cept
    I'd have to go and buy an officer's model.Much as I'd
    like to do so,me thinks I should keep on the prow
    for a pair of Slim-tech's to fit my Gov.The suggestion
    of a shorter trigger is one I've not pondered but will.
    The Slim-Tech's are something like 3mm thick and that's
    what I need to fit this ole claw.I know Brownells has
    them,just not the ones I want.

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/30/01 7:31:44 am)
    Reply Re: thank you kindly folks.
    I ran across a Gun-Test artical that featured Slim-Tech's

AFS Tech 1911 Auto Slim Tech Grips
    These grips were made of rosewood. They sold for $44.95. The rosewood is a medium dark-brown color with black grain stripes. The grip is constructed of laminated rosewood impregnated with resin.

These panels seek to solve problems for several groups of shooters. Men or women with small hands or short fingers can grasp the gun’s front and back straps more effectively with these grips because they create less profile on the sides of the gun. This can be seen in their overall thickness measurement of 0.32 inch. Their smaller size also reduces the overall profile and weight of a carry gun somewhat. The AFS grips weighed 1 ounce. The dark reddish wood blends into the color of a blued firearm. Our set had a laser-etched (burned) checkering pattern in a double-diamond arrangement. The right-hand panel did not have a relief cut for an ambidextrous safety due to its thinness. Installing the grips required changing out factory gripscrew bushings with replacements that are supplied with the product. The replacement thin-line bushings accommodate new stainless slotted grip screws that have a thinner head for the lowprofile panels. Changing the bushings and screws out takes about 10 minutes. The new bushings should be staked or glued in with removable Loc-Tite 242. Unlike on the other products, the replacement bushings didn’t snap the panels onto the frame snugly. But once the grip screws were run into place, the panels fit well and didn’t show any play. At the range, we thought the AFS grips felt noticeably thinner. Some shooters liked the feel of the gun in the hand with these panels in place, but we thought the lack of coarse, cut checkering that we were used to reduced the controllability of the gun slightly. This is a trade-off for using the slim grip. Also, we didn’t like the cosmetics of having stainless screws on the dark panels. A blued screw is available, and we would pick it if buying the AFS Tech product.

bg
    (12/30/01 4:21:58 pm)
    Now by golly that's what I a review,thank ya.

warpig883
    (1/1/02 12:37:56 pm)
    Thanks ZigZag, just what I was wanting to know
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)