National Debt/Surplus?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Slimslam, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Left-wingers argue that while President, Bill Clinton reduced the national debt and actually created a surplus in the general fund, whereas, Bush has spent the surplus into oblivion resulting in record deficits. I can't imagine that this country has ever had a surplus of funds during the past 30 years. Can anyone explain the truth or recommend an objective source to find out? Thanks
    ss
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

A guy named Mike Savage has a good book that may help titled "The Savage Nation".

I read through parts of it and found his answers logical and without exaggeration.

My$.02
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

It's a superb book. All should read it.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have looked for that info too. And I may be wrong, and will stand corrected if facts are given. But the best I could come up with was that the “surplus” that they are talking about with Clinton, was only a “PROJECTED” surplus on PAPER. IF we did this, and IF we did that, THEN in ??? YEARS we would have been out of debt. It never actually came down to HAVING a surplus.

Of course Bush has shot all hopes of that happening
    (In our children’s life time) all to....ah....heck.
  5. Carl S

Carl S New Member

You are absolutely correct. There was no surplus money "in the bank"; it was all projected on paper. The Clinton administration engaged in deficit spending also. A true surplus is taking in more revenue that we spend. That has not happened in many. many years under any administration.