National "guns in Parks" law

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by armedandsafe, Feb 9, 2010.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

There have been questions on when this will take place. This just in from NRAILA.

Pops
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Good to know. I figured there were details that needed to be worked out.
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

This is great news.
  4. DebS

DebS New Member

"Because state laws vary greatly, before you visit a national park, you should check the park’s website or call the park headquarters for more information."

Why is this quote in the ILA's update? State laws do not apply in National Parks. As much as some State's would like them to, they don't.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

that is just National Parks state parks are not included right?
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

National Parks will follow the State's rules for it's own State Parks. If the State says no carry in their parks, that will hold for that portion of any National Park within that state.

Pops
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

That is in the notice because the rules in the law as passed by Congress states that the rules for any National Park will be those rules of the State within which it is found. Thus, if you have a National Park which lies across two or more states, the parts of that park which are in any one State will have the same rules as that State has. So, you could be legal upon entering the National Park, and become illegal by hiking along a trail, if you cross into another State.

Now, I suppose you are going to ask why such a silly rule was passed by Congress. :D ;) :D

Pops
  8. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

If I asked that everytime I thought it... well, we wouldn't have time to talk about much else.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Back in '99 the wife, and I, made a motorcycle tour of the Western U.S. We were camping so the parks, both State, and National, were the places where we stayed. I called each and every Park/State we planned to visit, and asked about carrying a hand gun in each. We were told by some that the gun could not be loaded, but most said to just come and have a good time. That's what we did! I carried at all times, and the gun was always loaded. Turned out that I never had a need to use it, thank God. No problems at all, and no one knew I had a gun. When we went to DC back in Sept. for the Tea Party march I had my BUG in my pocket at all times, and I never got busted for it. Mostly because I was pushing a wheel chair that one of my neighbors was in. Just walked right thru the metal detectors! Again, no one knew.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I didn't read it that way. I thought it was the carry rules of the state not their state parks. If you have recriprocity in the state then you can carry in the National Park except for federal buildings????????????
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I don't have the text of the law to which to refer. However, all the reviews of the law which I remember say very specifically that you can carry "under the laws of the State." Everybody has, so far, interpreted that to mean that you have to obey the laws of the State in which you are located at any given time.

When and if I get a bit of time, over the next few days I'll dig a little deeper into this.

ETA: NRA just announced this. Note that they specifically state the the State laws are applicable.
    http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/showNews.cfm?newsId=E37DD72E-FB6C-9EBE-6B4F45440EDB35CE

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  12. DebS

DebS New Member

Dam*it. North Carolina wins again. Kind of a pointless win for states that don't allow you to carry much of anywhere anyway. So frustrating.

Sign me,
    :mad:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  13. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Great News....Didn't the NRA lobby very hard to get this passed? So glad my membership dues went for fighting for such a great new freedom. :D
  14. petesusn

petesusn New Member

Will wonders never cease.

Just read in the Fresno Bee (Fresno, Ca.) "In California, that means it is perfectly legal to carry an unloaded firearm as long as it's plainly visable, and for those with carry permits to tote them, loaded or unloaded."
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I sent an e-mail to the NRA-ILA because there was an unanswered question in this thread. The question was if you have a carry permit recognized by the state a Park is in but the state has rules that forbid carrying in their state parks can you carry in the National Park and here is ILA's answer:

Still somewhat muddy but I believe we can carry in the nat parks within their borders with a permit the state recoginizes.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010