The Firearms Forum banner

National Match Springfield 1903

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Redhand 
#1 ·
I originally posted this in the Technical Form but so far no response, probably the wrong forum for the question.

Here goes:

I have two National Match Springfields. At least they have all the markings for NM's. One is sporterized and the other is still in military configuration. Where do I go to verify the s/n's?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Chief - I'm gonna jump in and try to help you. This is a tough one. I used to collect Springfields and still have most of them, but I've been out of the research thing for many years. There are a number of publications dedicated to these rifles, and if you really want to become an expert on them, you should read up on them.

There is a source - online - that will give you the dates of manufacture for your M1903 Springfields. Simply a matter of using your search engine like "Google' or "Bing" and typing in "U.S. M1903 Springfield Date of Manufacture". Should pop up for you.

Some of the things to look for on a National Match are:
- Star guaged barrel - aterisk stamped on the muzzel at about the 6 o'clock position;
- Bolt lightly etched with the rifle's serial number;
- Bolt follower and rib guide should be polished;
- Stock should have the rifle's serial number stamped on the bottom between the triggerguard and the buttplate.

This is just a rough guide. There are people here who are true experts on these rifles, and hopefully they will find your post. Good luck -Jim

#3 ·
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I have gotten myself totally confused researching this. The items you mentioned are correct and there are also a couple others things mentioned that have been posted. Almost too much info...I do remember one post that mentioned a range of s/n's but I can find no source.

In any event, I will enjoy them and, on occasion, shoot them. They will not be sold in my lifetime.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.