Navy Arms replica .31 cap-and-ball revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jwchessell, Nov 3, 2005.

1. jwchessell

jwchessell Member

I have what I believe is a Navy Arms. Co. replica cap-and-ball 5-shot revolver, caliber .31, serial # 8501. It has a brass frame, 5-3/4" bbl, and is stamped "FIE Italy" on the frame at the bottom of the grip. Bluing is 99% intact, grips have their original finish and are not chipped, scratched or cracked. Loading lever and hammer are color-hardened. Revolver is in a fitted hardwood box (with key), lined in red plush, and includes a 3-1/2" long powder flask (with a thumb lever) and a 5" long brass percussion-cap feeder. Box likewise has its original finish without cracks or chips, but there is some crazing of the finish due to age. I purchased this revolver new in approximately 1969 or 1970 and fired 25 or 30 rds through it; then it was put away. I also have a Lyman .31 caliber round-ball mold. What is its approximate value today?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Based on the .31 caliber, I'd guess that this was a reproduction of either a Model 1848 Baby Dragoon or Model 1849 Pocket Revolver......and I don't find any listing under Navy Arms for either.

However, based on a value for the Navy Arms 1862 New Model Police cased set, I'd estimate your gun's value, in excellent condition, in the $250-300 range.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have a pocket .31. I don't know if it Navy Arms. Only mark is made it Italy

[​IMG]
  4. jwchessell

jwchessell Member

22 WRF: Mine is identical to the one at the top of the picture you posted. Same brass frame, same screws and pins on the right-hand side. It also appears to have the same screws and seating-lever as shown in your two other photos, along with the same color-hardened steel. However, your other two (middle and bottom) appear to have either steel frames or steel plates covering the left side of the frame, which mine does not have.

??
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The brass frame on the top is a 1851 Navy Colt .36 Cal.
    Marked EIG Italy

The middle is the same but steel farme and no markings except made in Italy
    Black Powder Only

It's hard to put a value on these replicas as they are not what I would consider collectable.

I would guess and that is in good shooting condition is worth somewhere between $100 and $200

I paid $159 for this 1858 Remington from Cabelas

Attached Files:

• rem.jpg
      rem.jpg
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005