Navy Personnel

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hope6970
    (5/17/01 10:27:13 pm)
    | Del All Navy Personnel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard a lot regarding the Army, Marines, Air Force arriving in Vietnam. I don't believe that we have heard much from you men. Did you go by ship and then get transferred to the different boats when you arrived there or fly like the rest of us? If you went by sea, would you please tell us about your trip?

Hope

low2go
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/18/01 7:56:34 am)
    | Del Re: Navy Personnel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hope, no matter what the Marines claimed about the Seabees, and as hard to convince as those jokers tend to be at times, we needed a plane to fly just like everyone else. The wings we Seabees usually sprout when the need arises, as we babysit those JAR-HEADS, cannot sustain us on long flights. It just has to be accepted by those dudes with the leather collars and the cast-iron skivvies, only on short missions of mercy on their behalf, can we and will we, fly to their aid under our own power. Oh yes Hope--if any of those big hairy-legged Marines read this, I'll get feed-back LOUD & CLEAR!!!!! Wilborn

Genog
    (5/18/01 9:18:46 am)
    I flew from San Diego to Honolulu. While in Hono, I was on a 24 hour standbye on base, which meant I could not leave. The only time in my life I have ever been to Hawiai and I have no opportunity to see it. What a real bummer that was.
    From there I flew to Wake Island and on to Subic Bay. Hung around there for 2 weeks before my ship picked me up. I had a ball in the Philipines, duty was easy and had the best liberty I was to have for the next 13 months.

LST-902 came in and stayed there 2 days loading munitions, weapons, and food. Left and went straight to DaNang to unload. From there it was on to the Delta, where we spent the rest of our tour. Occasional trips to Saigon, Cam Rahn Bay, and Vung Tau got us out of the Delta. One trip to Bangkok for R&R also.
    Geno G

Misterstan
    (5/18/01 6:24:05 pm)
    I remember my flight to Vietnam almost as well as my flight back to the world when I left Vietnam.

We rode on Continental Airlines. The uniform of the day was dress blues, which are normally worn in cold weather.

The plane stopped in Hawaii for refueling and we were allowed to do some shopping on base, but that was it. It was the only time I have ever been to Hawaii.

From there I believe we flew on to Guam. I remember it being a little airstrip on an island in the middle of nowhere.

When we made our final approach to the Tahn San Nhut air base in Saigon, I remember seeing an overturned truck that was on fire. That was the first time I asked myself "What have I gotten myself into by volunteering for duty in Vietnam?"

When we got off the plane, it must have been over 100 degrees! All you could see everywhere were these tiny people all over the place wearing huge straw hats and talking very fast in a strange language.

We were led to a holding area where we were told we would catch a bus to our next destination. The bus had bars in all the windows. We were driven to a huge multi-story building near downtown Saigon that was to be our home for the next week or so. The building was surrounded with rolls of barbed wire and lots of barrels filled with cement. Their were men armed with M-16's posted in the guard towers 24 hours a day.

We had a special meeting to familiarize us with some of the Vietnamese customs before we were allowed to exit the building. We were told to watch out for the "cowboys" who were primarily homeless children who ran in small gangs.

We had to walk several blocks to get to the chow hall each day. Within a few days I found myself venturing past the authorized area deep into the outer limits of Saigon. In those days, I feared very little. There were actually signs posted to tell us we were entering an unauthorized area.

Then I was transferred to the Cat Lo, RVN, naval base. My ship, the USS Mark (AKL-12), was still on a supply run and it would not be back for several days. I was attached to a Shore Patrol unit. I drove a jeep and carried a 45 and a big stick. We went into the bars and tried to protect the sailors who drank too much before they got into trouble.

Then I joined my ship when it returned from it's mission. I remember when I first saw it I said "They call this a Ship?" To me it was just a boat - but you never call a Navy Ship a boat.

Stan Lambert
    St. Clair Shores, Michigan

hope6970
    (5/18/01 11:41:27 pm)

Wilborn, GenoG and MisterStan,

I am sorry, however I must ask this question. It was a question that had gone through certain military circles in our days.

Question: Was it true that you Navy guys had Bell Hops on those ships? I see you have Navy Regs. as to how to make the coffee and how to cook the steaks and other niceties.

Now please don't take offense to this, I feel after all these years perhaps you could shed some light on this subject. lol lol

Thank You !!

Hope

low2go
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/19/01 7:23:35 am)
    Hope, I must tell you something in regards to your question about the staff on Navy ships. If there were bellhops on those troop ships and transports I rode on, they weren't very kind and gentle as you would expect the typical bellhop to be. Every ship I ever rode on including the civilian operated ships (MSTS), I would volunteer to work with the crew. Plumbing calls, painting, carpentry work--there was lots to do but reaping the benefits was great. I got to eat in the crews mess (no chow lines), got my laundry done, and took fresh water showers. Have you ever taken a salt water shower, using that gritty old soap---I speak casually of terminal complexion problems. Stan and Gene may be able to tell you about boatswainmate bellhops--but while I have your attention Dear Hope--may I sell you a bridge??? Wilborn smart-mouthing!!

homer4
    (5/24/01 5:02:16 pm)
    I know the Naval contingent stationed at the far end of the compound ate real good.If I was smart back then I should have made good friends with em.Our CO and XO traded some weapons from a cache we would uncover every now and then for canned peaches and bacon and stuff occasionaly...maybe some roast beef or something like that I seem to recall...I don't know it's been so long.

Dave,Mike L,Mike H,Mith,Gene,Nick,Larry,Phil,Barry,Don,Bill and P.Gary one by one tramp and march across the freshly swabbed boat deck with their muddy combat boots whistling to the tune of "Caissons" as Chief,Stan and Geno dine on Sirloin Tips and sip Chabliss below.

Hehehe
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (5/24/01 5:23:08 pm)
    Each holding his empty plate and cup looking for just a morsel of food left over from the feast the navy guys are having................................

oneknight
    (5/24/01 5:57:56 pm)
    John,

You mean you didn't have all the luxuries Stan had!
    What's up with that?

STAAAAAAN????????

donbrails
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/24/01 10:11:36 pm)
    | Del Navy Personnel
    Just a random thought.
    This talk of food brings back a memory. After coming back to base camp from Operation Yellowstone it was found that we were short of cooks. One was in Japan, one in the hospital, and one home on emergency leave. "Top" came out to the bunker line one afternoon and asked if anyone would like to volunteer to work as a temporary cook in the mess hall for a few days. I volunteered! ( Did I really do that!). What a wonderful life. Up at four in the morning and working until nine or ten at night and then repeating it again the next day and the next and etc. I started out making salads and in about four days I was doing eggs on the breakfast line. No matter how you wanted your eggs you received them scrambled. The mess sgt. was very supportive of me and did not take any complaints from the troops. Thank God, after about eight days the cooks started returning. I guess what I am trying to say is, "Thanks" to the guys who had little to work with at times, and still made us decent, edible meals.
    Thanks,
    Don

hope6970
    (5/24/01 10:56:17 pm)
    Thats nothin Homer,
    I was on another boat all by my lonesome with that JAG officer,
    whats his name, Rab?
    And whats more, donbrails was cooking our meal for us and after he
    was finished we asked him to dine with us. Very good cook he is!

homer4
    (5/25/01 6:15:38 pm)
    Officers have all the luck.

And apparently some of the cooks too.
    ...and two hard boiled eggs.