Nazi Star 9mm

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rescue2553, May 4, 2004.

1. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

Here is my question. About 15 years ago I purchased a Star 9mm BM model at a gun show. I am not a 9MM fan so I purchased it for my wife for home protection and just for her to learning to shoot. I have cleaned the weapon for here but never had a real interest in the pistols history and have not payed allot of attention to the markings. Last night I was cleaning the pistol and just really noticed it has a Nazi eagle stamped on the slide and eagle stamp marks in various places all over it. I was talking to some one in the chat room last night and he stated that a company imported them and put false Nazi stamp marks on them and sold them as fakes? also this pistol has a very low serial number to be exact it is number 0319 and all part numbers match. The pistol is about 80% because of the bluing loss but other than that its in tip to shape. Could this one be real or a company fake?
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The Star Model BM is a 1970's pistol, so any Nazi markings would be, well, rather suspect.

The problem is with the Model B pistols. When a large quantity of Model B's were surplused, a European dealer stamped a bunch of them with WaA251 markings, which are correct for only a very specific serial number range. Most of the rest with the correct letter codes were Bulgarian contract pistols.

I'd need to know the letter date code from your frame (generally left side, forward of the slide stop) and the COMPLETE serial number. 0319 is not it, I dont see them putting a zero in front of sn# 319 for the heck of it. Look around carefully on the butt for the complete serial number, as below:

Attached Files:

3. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

Countrygunsmith. Your right on the SN its allot higher number now that I look at it. it just has 0319 stamped on the frame and directly above it has the numbers again. here is the whole SN`s 1567319. on the right side of the slide it has a large S.A. stamped after the Star name and logo. On the opposite side it has a large PN stamped in the slide and a large eagle stamped, and below on the frame is stamped a eagle. this eagle is stamped in about 5 other locations but the eagle is very small in size in these places.
  4. CountryGunsmith

I still need the proof year code. That serial number is WAY too high for the 1940's Star Model B.

'SA' is simply the Spanish abbreviation for 'Inc.' Many people confuse that with the model designation. On the butt of the gun, is there a letter designation as in the above picture? How long is the barrel?

I'm leaning toward those eagle stampings to be police acceptance marks, but I really need more information to properly identify the model and year of manufacture.
  5. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

Countrygunsmith, that is all there is. no letter stamp before the SN or anything. There is a large BM stamped on the bottom where the clip goes in but nothing else. The barrel is 4 inches. The only other is the(( PN )stamped on the right side with the eagle stamp. What about the import marks? its Interarms Alexandria VA? Well I hate to keep editing this post but in your pic the SN`s look like there stamped on the bottom where the clip (magazine) goes? I have no SN`s in that area, they are stamped in front of the grip on the left side.
    Last edited: May 4, 2004
  6. CountryGunsmith

Well, its a Star BM for sure. That model started manufacture in 1972 so that should answer the Nazi marking question. As to fake markings, I guess it is possible that some exceptional moron would try it, but that would be like painting SS symbols on a Ford Mustang and trying to sell it as Hitler's staff car. In any event, the fake marking scandal pertained to the Model B, not the Model BM.

Your gun DOES have a letter code denoting the year of proof. It is normally on the left side of the frame ahead of the slide stop and will be a capital letter followed by either the number 1 or 2. Might be under the grips on that model, I dont remember.

All that said, not all 'eagle' markings are Nazi markings. If you have a digital camera, please send me a good closeup of the mark or post it here. Probably some police acceptance mark. Spain's Guardia Civil used BM's up through about 1990 or so as did many other police agencies in Europe and Latin America. Importers like Interarms got ahold of them when the agencies traded up to more modern designs.
  7. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

OK I found the marks you are talking about. They are under the grips it is (A2) and I will find the digital camera when the wife gets home and take a picture of the eagle and post it here. Thanks countrygunsmith for the info so far, You have said that it might be police proofs and im pretty sure your right now, its been 15 years now since I bought this pistol and now that I think about it the guy at the gun show that sold it to me said that it was a police pistol, kind of strange I forgot that all these years until you have said something. so i am sure that is what it is.
  8. CountryGunsmith

Your gun was made/proofed in 1981.
  9. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

hahahaha! well I do not think that these are Nazi eagles stamped in it then being manufactured in 1981. Would you know if they are a certain police departments mark?
  10. CountryGunsmith

Probably, when I see the markings.
  11. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

Countrygunsmith this is the best picture I can take with my camera, I have tried for a better one just the quality of the camera. If you notice the Eagle right beside it is the (PN) the same size as the Eagle.

[​IMG]

OK Countrygunsmith I found one of my grandaughters white crayons and highlighted the eagle! now the pictues come out better. So im back to editing my postings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. CountryGunsmith

Almost certain that is a marking used by the Policia Nacional, or National Police.
  13. rescue2553

rescue2553 New Member

Thank you Countrygunsmith for all your time invested in helping me discover a little about a pistol I never thought much of about its history. The pistol is a great and accurate shooter and I do not think the history of it in this case makes it any more valuable but it sure is nice to know when in the future you talk about it with your buddies.