Nazi Walther PPK w/ 1942 holster

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vlad0002, Nov 10, 2009.

1. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Walther PPK w/ 1942 holster

Hello all,

Need to ask for your help, guys, again.

Came across an interesting, PPK with a brown holster. Mechanically, the gun is in superb condition, with, literally, as new bore. Unfortunately, looks like it was kept in a holster for years, so the outside has a "frost" -- a lot of fine pin-point pitting. I have posted the pictures. Bluing is still at ~ 90 %. Crown N proof. 7.65 caliber. The holster is quite worn, but in decent shape. I was able to partially read the stamp: 1942 Berlin, and a Nazi eagle w/ swastika. Tried to show it on the pictures, too. Serial is 885068. Grips have a hairline crack on one side. Magazine has Walther banner on it.

Any thoughts on history and value would be much appreciated, as usual.

Thanks.

Vlad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Re: Walther PPK w/ 1942 holster

Holster:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Re: Walther PPK w/ 1942 holster

Holster

Attached Files:

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Last use of the Crown N proof was in 1940. The serial numbers fall into the range of PPK's used by the Munich Police, but the gun should be marked P.D.M., Are there any other markings on the gun? If there are no other markings showing police or military acceptance then it is a commercial PPK. It may have been carried by some military personnel or police but with out markings it has to be treated as a commercial sale. It may even be a mismatched slide.
  5. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thanks, RJay.

I did not see any other markings, no. How can one tell if the slide is mismatched? I took the gun apart and did not see any serials on the slide. Where is it supposed to be? The slide looks it' own: the finish deterioration is very even between slide and the body. Slide is marked with crown N right under the similar mark on the barrel.

I was told the rig was brought from WWII by a veteran just as is, the holster and the gun. They want $400 for it. Is it a fair price? I have some coupons that 'll bring it to ~$320, too...

Thanks.

Vlad
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

With the holster it is worth 400, you could sell the holster alone for 50 to 75. It looks as if the gun and holster were picked up separately and then matched up. which would not be unusual at the end of the war. I was going to give you a valuation of 350 to 400 on the gun alone:) We have a forum regular, Danny who is very well versed on the Walthers, perhaps he will chime in.
  7. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Thanks, guys.

It's Cabelas' rig, so with $30 off $150+ they have going on right now + some Cabelas Bucks accumulated on my card, I can knock off a chunk.

Thanks again.

Vlad
  8. vlad0002

vlad0002 New Member

Hi guys,

Happy to report -- the slide matches. I took it apart again -- there is the last 3 numbers of the serial scratched on the inside of the slide.

I bought this gun. Thanks to all.

Vlad
  9. Danny

Danny Member

:):)Hello Vlad,
    I am glad U got the pistol. Its not that bad of shape, except the grip will hurt it alot, as to replace it runs over 300 dollars. The holster is a police issue & does not match the firearm, so if it were mine I would sell the holster & try to find one that is of that time period, 1935. Hope this helps ya a little?
    Kindest Regards
    Danny:):)