NCstar scopes

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jjfawks, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jjfawks

jjfawks New Member

Anyone had experience with NCStar scopes? Some have good reviews. I am looking for an lower end scope,. Simmons, etc.
  2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I have one of their 3-9X42 rubber coated scopes and I really like it. I have others such as Simmons as well and I think that the NCStar is a better value.
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I purchased a 42mm NCStar red dot sight several years ago for my 10/22. I liked the wide field of view, but the dot was impossible to see in daylight against a white paper target (and I have good eyes). This was simply the way the sight was made and wasn't due to weak batteries. Also, I never seemed to be able to shoot a decent group with it. I am humble enough to admit when an issue like this is my ability more than the equipment, but the sight just never seemed to work well for me. This experience with a few others taught me that the pricier red dot / holographic sights out there are worth what you pay for them. That doesn't mean that I can afford the latest and greatest.

There is another side to the story, however...

After I pulled the red dot from my 10/22, I got a 4x30 traditional scope, also an NCStar. This one was listed as the "tactical" model which I don't really care about, but it meant that the tube was shorter than most scopes, a feature I like. This scope has been securely mounted to my 10/22 ever since, and I can put 10 shots under a dime at 25 yards with it (told you the bad groups mentioned above weren't my fault).

With this scope, it's a lot of fun to run a golf ball up and down a hill.
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Junk commie made scopes. The good reviews are from those that wouldn't know a good scope from a empty paper towel tube.
  5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Got to be honest... The way you get personal here made me laugh. I'd also be curious whether or not you have used an NCStar scope for any length of time, and if not, why did you reply to this thread?

I'm absolutely not saying they're of any significant quality, just stating my particular experience.