Nebee Reloader Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Saddle Bum, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Saddle Bum

Saddle Bum New Member

I'm looking to begin reloading and want to get a starter system that will allow me the flexibility to reload ranging from .40 and .45 auto to .44 mag (rifle / pistol) to .270 and .308 rifle.

Looking for suggestions.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Dillon 550B would be my generic answer, but this assumes alot of things.

so, a little more info from you and we should be able to make some good recommendations

Budget -

Reloading purpose ( cowboy action, target, IPSC etc )

got any manuals or tools yet?

how much bench space do you have?

do you want to do all on one press?

amount of rounds/yr anticipated -

Semper Fi and welcome to TFF !
  3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

The basic set up would be something along the lines of a Lee Anniversary Kit. All you need other than the kit is dies, powder, primers, brass and bullets and possibly a tumbler for cleaning brass.
    I have seen the lee kit for as low as $90 dollars and Lee die sets run around $25 new, cheaper used, for pistol calibers.
    Tumblers (brass cleaning) for around $45 and medie for around $15 a gallon jug.
    Good used and you will come out cheaper. The Lee kit is a single stage which is slower but allows you to inspect each stage of the reloading process.
    Also you can sell it to upgrade later if you wish.
  4. RandyP

RandyP Member

Or the Lee Classic turret, which also can do all the calibers you mention, has an auto-advancing turret function to speed things up, and still not break the bank.

NOTHING wrong with the higher priced reloaders either, they are ALL fine machines and turn out safe, reliable ammo, some at a phenomenal rate of manufacturing output. But as many say, if all you really need or want is a Ford, buy a Ford not a Rolls Royce. Spend the savings on components.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Well here's a question that will get enough opinions to make your head spin, what I would suggest is to get a reloading manual such as Lyman and read the "how to" portion and get a feel of how reloading works, then narrow your search by three styles of machines: single stage, semi-progressive or progressive. Then your budget will pretty much lead you to the machine you want to purchase.

The previous posts all suggest machines that work well for those who have them but you are going to find dillon and lee is like a ford and chevy arguement. Lee equipment is by far the lowest price and Dillon is pretty much the highest price, they both do the job none the less.

Single stage presses get the job done well, perfect as a matter of fact; these machines are slow but get precise results. 100 rounds an hour maybe?

Semi-progressive (turret) presses get my vote, four or five dies thread into the turret head, and manually advance each turret die station over the single shell until a reloaded cartridge is finished. A great in between for the ruggedness similar to a single stage but a little more speed like a progressive. I load 200 9mm in one hour on a turret press.

Progressive presses are for the quantity loader also usually more costly. With each pull of the handle, four or five shells held by a shellplate press them all into different dies simultaneously. Some don't want the sophisitication in the reloading experience, some like to get it done more efficiently. 300+ rounds an hour....?
  6. zb338

zb338 New Member

You are going to need a powder scale, a powder thrower (unless it's part of a progressive reloader), a tumbler to clean your cases (not absolutely necessary).
    You are going to need dies and shell holders and for rifle a trimmer and a vernier
    or some method of measuring shell length. Add all these up and figure out what
    money you have left for the press.
    Zeke
  7. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member