The Firearms Forum banner

NECK KNIFE

6K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
I was watching a self defense show on the outdoor channel and in a demonstration a person used a "neck Knife"
to defend herself. Never heard of a "neck knife" so I checked 'em out and they made all the sense in the world so I ordered one from Midway and it's on the way. Made to hang around your neck and be easily accessible if grabbed up close and personal making a handgun a bad idea or hard to get to.

Here's what I ordered: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/53..._-Service_Emails-_-ShippingConf-_-ProductLink

#3 ·
>Slip an index finger through the front ring nearest the blade and your pinky finger through the rear ring and close your fist to obtain a forward grip and vice versa for a reverse grip. It doesn’t matter how hard you cut, chop, hack, hammer or thrust with the Double Agent. Its twin rings will prevent your hand from sliding forward on the razor sharp edge and will likewise resist the effects of centrifugal force or the efforts of an adversary to wrest the Double Agent from your grasp. <

Assuming, of course, that your hand fits between the two rings. If it was made for my hand, my daughter couldn't hold it, and if it was made for her hand, mine would not fit between the rings. :p

Reactions: Albtraum
#4 ·
A neck knife was, originally, something in use where belts were not common.

When used like that, it makes all kinds of sense.

But when used as a defensive weapon, it needs to be concealed. So when you need it, do you rip your buttons off to get to it? Go in through the neck of the shirt? Have an upside-down sheath, leave your shirttail untucked and go in through the bottom?

Does not seem like a real good plan, to me.

Now, I suppose it would be like using a Colt Butler 22-short derringer as your concealed carry - ANY gun beats no gun - so ANY type of weapon beats "weaponless".

But there are so many better ideas out there.

Reactions: Albtraum
#7 ·
"But there are so many better ideas out there."

Alpo, other models available one ring for the index finger from other companies. I even suppose if your pinky finger
doesn't fit could you use your ring finger or maybe just use the front ring? It hangs concealed under you shirt (I never tuck in my shirt) on a ball chain (break away) handle down with a release button on the sheath. Just reporting something new (to me) that sounded so good I ordered one and the 26 bucks won't break the bank. Another knife is almost as good as another gun and a whole lot less expensive.

#8 ·
You can't go wrong with Cold Steel. Here's a link to a division of Cold Steel that often has specials.
http://www.ltspecpro.com/Category/17_1/Neck_Boot_Knives.aspx
You may want to look at their kitchen knives too. Everything they make will cut you quick, and bleed forever. There is one other site I shop on; bladehq.com
let us know how you like your new one.

Reactions: Guts3d
#10 ·
I gotta side with Alpo on this one. I carry a good quality knife with me every where I go. A neck knife is a great defensive weapon, and the one that Airdale bought is a beauty! I have no use for one, but that knife looks so good I almost want it! My problem is that these knives are made for cutting, nothing more. The amount of training to be able to use one of these small knives well, is staggering, epically for an old fart like me. I'll pass on the neck knife, and spend my money on an extra magazine, or two!

#17 ·
OK, I've changed my mind on this topic. I was at a gun show about a month ago, and one of the guys there was selling knives. I stopped by his table, and got to talking about knives, as I looked over his rather large inventory. He had a large selection of neck knives, and I told him what I thought about them, when he started showing them to me. I promptly got a lesson about these small knives, and wound up buying one. This guy was a retired cop, and said he had a lot of experience with cops, and knives. He said that he tried to teach his fellow officers not to wear them under their shirts, as movement (as in fighting with a suspect) might shift the knife into an unreachable position. Instead he recommended that they carry in a front, or rear pocket, with the lanyard or cord attached to the belt. When drawing the knife in this fashion, you pull the knife out of the sheath with one hand as the lanyard becomes taut. The knife and sheath part company with the force of the draw. The length of the chain can be adjusted to fit your personal likes. I bought one! The one on the bottom. I have used it a lot more than I thought I would! I am now an advocate!
Knife Cutting tool Blade Tool Utility knife

#11 · (Edited)
Don't leave home without one!
I carry one. However my problem is, I have to stay clear of the water. Tidewater is nothing but a water hazard. One of my many handles is, "He who has 6 guns & 6 knives. Some of my associates claim that if I ever fall into one of those hazards, I'll never come to the surface.

#14 ·
When my old boss found out I carried a 110 buck knife in my back pocket he just about passed out. I was told I couldn't carry it or go to any customer sites with it. Really funny as they sent me in some of the worst areas in Chicago.

I bought one of these and have been carrying it for well over 10 years.
Brown Tan Leather Material property Utility knife

No one seemed to care about this razor knife. I also have a folding 371 Buck knife in my pocket. My new boss could care less what we have on us.

Reactions: Guts3d
#16 ·
When my old boss found out I carried a 110 buck knife in my back pocket he just about passed out. I was told I couldn't carry it or go to any customer sites with it. Really funny as they sent me in some of the worst areas in Chicago.

View attachment 89942
No one seemed to care about this razor knife. I also have a folding 371 Buck knife in my pocket. My new boss could care less what we have on us.
Folks are not permitted to have any weapons where I work. Knives are on the list of prohibited items. Since I do maintenance work, it's considered a tool. I carry a CRKT Hiho mid size folder and a small letterman tool.

#18 ·
Seems to me that, once the carry location is changed from the neck to the waist or the pocket, it quits being a neck knife.

Like when taking off the cover garment, your concealed pistol quits being a CONCEALED pistol.

There is nothing wrong with a small knife, whether folding or fixed-blade. It's the "carrying it around the neck on a string" part that seems so foolish to me.

#19 ·
Try it Alpo, you might like it!

#20 ·

View attachment 89942
What do you do?

#21 ·
I've thought about getting one of these neck-knives, but keeping it in my boot. Sometimes at work, when kneeling or bending over, it'd be a lot easier, faster and more convenient to pull up a pant leg, unsheathe from the boot, use the knife, and put it back. Hard topull out your knife clipped to your pocket when hunched down.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.