Neck size in semi auto

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Dave3
    (1/15/02 10:17:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Neck size in semi auto
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Will neck size only reloads cycle in a semi auto?

Smoky14
    (1/15/02 10:35:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Neck size in semi auto
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Dave we could use more information. Calibre, weapon,and process you are using. Was ammo fired from the weapon you are reloading for?
    Love to help just need more info.

Dave3
    (1/15/02 6:15:51 pm)
    Thanks and sorry I left out the peculiars. The gun is a bushmaster ar15 vmatch heavy barrel yada yada yada.
    the brass was fired through this gun. My thought "Full length sizing defeats half the purpose of reloading. So why not just neck size and then put a crimp on there to prevent any bullet movement". 223. Thanks

Smoky14
    (1/16/02 10:46:24 am)
    I think you are on the correct trail. If the brass comes from the gun you are loading for; full length resizing should not be required. It will just over work the brass. If in doubt..load a few and give it a try.
    AND WELCOME OVER HERE

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/16/02 11:27:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Neck size in semi auto
    Absolutely, welcome.

The only problem you might encounter is the action failing to close fully when the rifle is dirty or after long strings of fire. The semi-autos dont have the leverage of the bolt action to cam into battery on max-size cases.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Moskovskyya
    (1/16/02 12:18:06 pm)
    Neck sizing is generally believed to be most valuable in prolonging brass life, and improved accuracy associated with, (for a large part) bolt rifles. You will encounter some locking problems with neck sizing only on practically any auto loader. Further, the extraction of autoloaders will generally damage, or lose the brass before the extra metal working of full length sizing will destroy the brass. Auto loaders being more modern are usually in calibers that aren't that hard to acquire if they are damaged, whereas with some of the older bolt rifles, the brass is like gold, and must be cherished.

Dave3
    (1/16/02 9:34:01 pm)
    Thanks for all your replies. I think Maybe I've been led astray. It was my understanding that "Fireformed brass is part of the reloading advantage" and full length sizing would take that advantage away. Granted it is a pain when those dang things fling brass 10 feet away. I enjoy scrounging around for a 3 cent case.

AntiqueDr
    (1/16/02 9:58:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    That's absolutely correct, but the benefit there is with bolt-actions. If you neck-size only on the semi-autos you're going to get a lot of failures to go into battery.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Dave3
    (1/16/02 10:11:14 pm)
    Well hell, I'm glad I found out about this before I made a few hundred rounds.
    Doc I wish you were my neighbor, I've been seeing your post for about a year, and is there anything you don't know?

AntiqueDr
    (1/16/02 10:14:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Yep. Just ask my wife.

www.apaxenterprises.com

tuckerd1
    (1/17/02 7:27:16 am)
    Doc has a crystal ball.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)