Neck Sizing!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Author Comment
    shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/5/01 12:36:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Neck Sizing!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have never really thought about it before, but if you want to neck size cases, hornady make specific dies for this, and I know that you can set a full lenght die to neck size. My question is, my brother and I have identical calibers in all our firearms. We keep the fired cases seperate. Do we need to get seperate neck sizers, or can we use the same one? I am thinking that to maintain the case formed size and length by firing, we need seperate neck dies. My other arguement is that we could use same, because of trimming the cases to acceptable length.

Help, guys!, I am twisting my brain in knots!

shooter22

Edited by: shooter22 at: 10/5/01 1:38:37 am

Xracer
    (10/5/01 7:55:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Neck Sizing!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Haven't done much rifle reloading (lotsa pistol, though), BUT.......since dies are designed to bring brass "back to factory spec", one die should work for both of you. I find it difficult to believe that two different rifles would stretch the same brass so differently.

AntiqueDr
    (10/5/01 8:01:24 am)
    Neck sizing should not touch the shoulder of rifle brass anyhow. Trim the case for overall length, then neck size. One die should do it.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

kdubaz
    (10/6/01 12:19:39 am)
    Yup, 22 -

If you keep the brass separate (different rifles, different chamber sizes for same caliber - no two chamber reamers will cut the exact same chamber size) and you can resize the necks back to pre-loading dimensions with the same neck sizer. I have a Hornady 6.5 neck sizer die that resizes my 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5x257 Rob's AI and 6.5-06 cases - all that's required is to adjust for each cartridge length. No big deal - just back the die out of the press a little, run the brass up to kiss the die, then turn down in increments until the desired length of neck is resized. A little trick real serious target shooters use, is to leave about 3/32nds inch of the neck bottom (just above the shoulder) unsized. This makes the case fit your specific chamber neck a little tighter and helps in aligning the cartridge properly in the chamber. All this, providing the chamber was reamed to center on the bore!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Edited by: kdubaz at: 10/6/01 6:22:20 pm

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/6/01 12:42:33 am)
    thanks Guys! much appreciated.

ANother question, When bullet seating, I know how far off the lands I want to be for hunting and target shooting. On occasion the these figures exceed the AOL. Can this AOL exceeded, and by how much. I have hear the you should have AT least the bullet's dia length seated. I will be crimping the 264.

I also heard that with the 264 that the head space should be checked. Something about there being a difference fo factory ammo, and reloaded. The line said something bout if you reload, the headspace must be changed to gain any accuracy. But left unchanged, it would shoot good enough for a hunter.

I like tiny one shot holes, not good enough for hunting!

Help!

shooter22

AntiqueDr
    (10/6/01 7:31:33 am)
    The overall length is a standard to ensure function through the magazine system. As long as you can cycle the ammunition in your rifle, you are fine.

The headspace issue, I'm sure, deals with changing the headspace from the cartridge belt to the cartridge shoulder. Factory belted mags headspace on the belt. Once you have some fired cases, by necksizing only you are effectively headspacing to the shoulder and should have a more precise case-to-chamber fit.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

kdubaz
    (10/6/01 5:33:17 pm)
    What the good doctor says above, 22 -

There is one big caveat in your inquiry - you state you will be crimping the .264 Win. If you jockey the OAL and seating depth to achieve the best accuracy and distance off the rifling, be aware crimping on jacketed bullets anywhere but on a cannulure ring of the bullet is gonna be bad news - in the chambering and in the pressure departments! As discussed in the crimping thread, bolt action rifles with box magazines really don't require crimping to hold the bullet in place. A good firm friction fit from proper neck resizing will be the best application. If you insist on crimping, get some taper crimp dies so that the case neck is flattened real hard against the jacket. If you use a roll crimp, be sure there is a crimping ring on the bullet to crimp on. This will dictate a normal OAL and you won't be able to adjust for custom seating depth.

Remember that crimping will increase chamber pressure over neck friction hold.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/6/01 6:37:24 pm)
    Thanks Guys, ya'll are wonderful! All the info helps on other calibers I think I am having trouble with.

shooter22

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/7/01 9:23:29 am)
    another thing to consider is crimping does NOT have a positive effect on accuracy