Necked Cartridges

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by jmicmic, Dec 13, 2003.

1. jmicmic

jmicmic New Member

Does anybody know if there has been a wheel gun made to shoot a necked cartridge?
    I was thinking of the new Winchester .223 wssm in a revolver.
    Most likely the spacing on the neck would not work in a wheel gun.:D :confused:
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I can't bring to mind any, but I don't think there would be any particular problem. Some revolvers shoot cartridges that headspace on the neck, so headspacing on the shoulder shouldn't be a problem.

Pops
  3. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

Colt SAA's in 32-20,38-40,& 44-40.
    Colt and S & W DA's in the above.
    S & W in 22 Jet.
    The Jet gave a lot of trouble with case set back that lead to it's unpopularity.
    Ruger SA's in the WCF calibers and the Hawkeye in 256 Mag.
    The Nagant gas seal revolver used a case similar to the 32-20 WCF.
    There are probably some more I either don't remember or never heard of like the British and European military revolvers.

So it's been done with varied success.If I understand it correctly,the more gentle shoulder angle on the WCF cases work better than the sharp angle on the Jet and 256 Mag.

Robert.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Got it backwards. The jet had virtually it's entire case length for a shoulder, no neck, to speak of. Due to the relatively low (by rifle standards) pressure, and large body taper, the cases setback into the standing breech/ recoil shield, and tied up the gun; Ream the chambers to .22 Saberjet/ Jet improved, and the gun ran fine.
    Taurus has a new .22 Hornet revolver that runs fine- Hornet brass is thinner, pressures higher, but the little holes in a big cylinder allow the higher pressures.
    With the SSM, the cylinder would have to be HUGE to allow factory working pressures in a revolver; If any one would do it, it'd be Gary Reeder, or Bowen.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

DUH :D I owned a 32-20 S&W revolver and Cadet rifle, and never thought of them. You can tell you're getting old when... ummm, ...just a minute,,,,I'll think of it,,,,uhhhh, leme get back to you on that.

Pops
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I have a Colt Army Special revolver that's chambered for .32-20.
  7. gamachinist

gamachinist New Member

Thanks Stash,
    I never owned a Jet (nor had any interest in one),I was repeating what I'd read about the setback and got confused about the reason.
    The way the shoulder is tapered over such a long area,it surprises me that the 32-20 doesn't cause the same problem.
    I always wondered why the 22 Hornet wasn't chambered in the Ruger Blackhawks.Of course,the Hornet is one of those things you either like or have no use for (sort of like my feelings for the Jet).
    Robert