The Firearms Forum banner

Need 1903 Springfield stock

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gun-nut 
#1 ·
I need a 1903 stock with a single stock bolt. It must be in pristine condition. I have had a 1903 Springfield dated 5-11 for nearly 40 years that is in near mint condition but, a long time ago, someone cut the handguard and forearm off 4" forward of the front sling swivel band, modified the bayonet band by milling it off to be about 1/2" wide and installed it to hold the ends of the forearm and handguard in place. It was very professionally done. It is a shame because the stock was near mint condition and the receiver has at least 98% of the original case colors. I'd like to restore the rifle if possible because it could turn it into a $3500+ rifle. I have considered replacing the missing wood, starting under the swing swivel band but that offends my sensitivities. Otherwise, I may have to sell the rifle as is.

Does anyone out there know of someone who might have such a stock? I appreciate your help with this.

Former Springfield Collector

#3 ·
gdmoody:

Thanks very much for your response. I have tried both Sarco and Numrich but their quality is not anywhere near what I need. I need a stock that is as near mint condition as I can get. Too many of these stocks were reconditioned and the original finish removed. I need one that looks like they did when they came out of the arsenal - like a hand-rubbed oil finish complete with cartouche. I have seen one-bolt '03 stocks at the Tulsa gun show but they wanted more for the stock than I cared to pay.

I will follow up on your suggestion of doing a Google search, but I think the only source for such a stock will be a collector who is hoarding one waiting for the right rifle to come along. Perhaps, if such a collector has a stock and wants this rifle, I am willing to talk.

#4 ·
Awhile back, sportsmansguide.com was advertising NEW condition US surplus furniture kits for the 03. They may still have some - give them a try - you'll probably have to call customer service, I just tried searching for them on their on-line catalogue web site, but couldn't come up with a hit.

#5 ·
Awhile back, sportsmansguide.com was advertising NEW condition US surplus furniture kits for the 03. They may still have some - give them a try - you'll probably have to call customer service, I just tried searching for them on their on-line catalogue web site, but couldn't come up with a hit.
I vaguely remember seeing those. It may be a near impossibility to find a 110 year old pristine stock, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.