Need a 22 rifle.

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by TheSniper, Feb 21, 2009.

1. TheSniper

TheSniper New Member

I need a 22 rifle that is bolt action and tube fed. I need bolt beacuse it is for hunting.I was thinking marlin model 981T
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Farmerjon

Farmerjon New Member

Henry lever actions are tube fed and make great hunters/plunkers. Also easy on the wallet.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

You may have a bit of a problem finding one, TheSniper. For some reason, tube magazines aren't in vogue anymore, so that Marlin may be about your only choice for a new gun. My recommendation would probably be to find a nice, big gun shop with lots of used guns. They should have something to fit the bill.

If you can find one, I personally love the Remington 512, but they haven't been in production for 40 years or so.
  4. TheSniper

TheSniper New Member

Do u know any bolt action .22s with a mag that holds a good amount of ammo and does not stick out of the gun.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. pawn

pawn Active Member

I would go with a CZ 452, there are several variations to choose from and the rifle comes with a 5 round magazine. 10 rd mags can also be purchased seperately:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_rimfire_rifles.php
  6. TheSniper

TheSniper New Member

Thats a little bet pricey.
  7. pawn

pawn Active Member

QUOTE=TheSniper;400085]Thats a little bet pricey.[/QUOTE]

10-4 :)

Then you probably need to follow Camping Josh's advise and go to a large vendor with an eye to purchase the used 22lr rifle of your choice. :D
  8. BigB

BigB New Member

I guess my first question to you is, "why does it have to be bolt action because it's for hunting?". Second is the tube feed requirement. I guess I have more questions than answers, but such a combo doesn't come to mind quickly. I'm thinking auto loader for rabbits, with iron sights. Maybe bolt with a scope for squirrels. BigB
  9. TheSniper

TheSniper New Member

A bolt is more acurate then a semi rifle. I like tubes because they hold short long and long rifle. Tubes hold more then most mags. I will consiter a mag because tubes are uncomen.
  10. DocCallah

DocCallah New Member

You may want to try a pawn shop. I just picked up a tube fed mossberg .22 for $60 Its a really nice rifle. Its not a bolt action but it is a 15 rd tube fed. Its a mossberg 380
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  11. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 to what Camping Josh said. Tube guns just aren't popular anymore.

You will have to go used (and maybe back into the 1950's) to find your .22 rifle. Both Remington and Winchester made some good ones back in the day.

The good news is that quality .22 rifles don't really wear out. A 50-year-old gun can stilll give years of good service. The bad news is trying to find one.
  12. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I know that you arem't that interested in anything buut a bolt, but you might want to check out the Henry's, 15 rounds and a very highy quality firearm. They aren't dirt cheep, but they aren't pricey either. They price is around $240-250. That's well worth the price for the amount of quality that you get. Please check them out.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Several years ago I bought a like new Western Field at the pawn shop, it is a real nice gun. I added 20rd. mag to this bolt action rifle, and I can mix or match the ammo in the mag. Being a bolt action rifle it don't care what comes up next, and the rifle is a great shooter to boot. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it problably wasn't much more than $100.
  14. TheSniper

TheSniper New Member

I was thinking to buy a winchester wildcat target/vermat.
  15. Boto22

Boto22 New Member

hey im a newbie and i just wana know what is the best .22 caliber semi-automatic in shop and not to costly? sry for my not so good english im a french:p