Need a license to buy/sell powder, primers and such?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by prof_fate, Feb 6, 2012.

1. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

I was at a gun show and only one guy was selling powder, brass, primers, etc. and not at great prices.
    Local gun shop says he started that way and while it was a lot of work going to 20 or 30 shows a year he made good money at it.

The thought of buying wholesale appeals to me - makes it cheaper for me to shoot of course. I already have a business so much of the startup headaches (accounting, banking, tax ID, credit cards, etc) are in place. I spent 10 years in mail order sales so to do a few shows and sell online would be feasible. My business is seasonal so I've got 5 some months of the year to 'fill'...

Does one need some special FFL license to deal in powder/primers?
  2. vasiggie

vasiggie New Member

No you do not, neither for gun parts apart from the part of the firearms ATF considers the reciever.
  3. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

Thanks.

Who are there distributors for such things, assuming I"m not buying a truckload at a time from the manufacturers of course...
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Some of the powder makers list their distributors right on their websites.

Hodgdon's Distributors

Those that don't, just give them a call. They'd love to have another dealer selling their stuff, so they'll hook you up with a distributor no problem.
  5. vasiggie

vasiggie New Member

sports south have very good pricing also the hunting shack. Bea aware of the Hazmat charge though.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012