Need a little help

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by plumeatup, Nov 24, 2007.

1. plumeatup

plumeatup New Member

Hello all,I am new here and looking for a little info on a rifle I found in my attic not long ago and just found the time to clean it up to see what it is.
    After doing a little research on the web with what little bit of markings I could find,I guess the main mark would be on the left side of the reciever which says No.4MK1 ROF (f) 11/43..I have found out what the No.4MK1 is but have no clue on the rest.
    Here are some pics of what I have found
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this pic the #s look to read Ja25220(maybe a restamp or something as it looks like there are faint signs of #'s I can't make out,also the letter "B" on the safety switch)
    [​IMG]

Here at the end of the barrel I find "CAI STALB VT"
    [​IMG]

I have also fund markings on the top of the barrel,there is a crown/13/N(crown on top the rest as follows) and another one with the crown with 59 under it.On the bottom there is a H stamp half way up the barrel.
    On the Butt stock there are small #'s 910 stamped in the wood.

On the charging handle I find the #'s "48LO6957

Thats about all I can find on the rifle other than a few little marks to faint to see.

Anyone know what I have found or what all the markings mean.Thanks in advance for any help with this..
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Import mark, Century Arms
  3. What you apparently have, plum, is a No. 4 Mark I British-built Enfield. From the looks of the stock, it has been sportarized. Unless it has been rechambered, which is unlikely, it is in .303 British caliber and was manufactured in November 1943.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

What you have is a recently (since 1980) imported WWII era No4 Mk1(*) British Enfield rifle probably in .303 that has been "sporterized."

The * (which if you look CLOSELY should be right after the "Mk I")means it is a late war (post 1943)simplified version of the regular No4 MkI, which had a much more intricate adjustable rear sight, among other differences...the simplified one has just a simple two position flip up aperture marked "300" and "600." (if you look closely you should see it on the two leaves.....IF there still is two leaves, I couldn't tell from the picture)

'Sporterization" means that somebody has "cut up" the original military stock to make it shorter and a little lighter and to make it "look" more like a sporting rifle, and also has gotten rid of some of the military hardware, like the handguards, barrel bands, and front sight ears.

And the reason we know it was imported after 1980 is that's when the law was changed ALLOWING collector military weapons to be imported (McClure/Volkmer Act) but one of the stipulations (added by the Democrats who couldn't STOP the bill...) was that the "Importer's Stamp" must be visible on the firearm, which is why it has the "Century Arms International" stamp on the barrel. (Now the stamp has to be on the RECEIVER, which messes them up a lot worse in my book....:mad:)

The rifle in that condition should be a decent weapon for firing or hunting (you might want to be very careful and conduct a backyard headspace check first, or have it checked by a gunsmith, because Enfield bolts with a lot of firing CAN suffer "setback", unlike other rifles firing rimmed rounds...), but is NOT really a collector's item since it is pretty common, and not in original condition.

It's value would probably be somewhere between $100 and $150 depending on the bore, and function.....

For your information if it was in original condition, it would probably be worth $150 to $250 depending on condition....
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  5. plumeatup

plumeatup New Member

:D Thanks for the info,looks like there is a lot of knowledge on this forum.
    After reading the replies,I started my search on google again and it looks like it is a No.4MK1 older style.
    Only reason I think this now is because I broke the rife down and found that the trigger is built into the trigger guard and to remove the bolt I have to pull the bolt almost all the way to the rear and depressing (i guess a bolt release)so that the bolt head can spin upward so the bolt can be extracted from the receiver.Am I correct on this?Not that it really matters,its a free rifle that I think I may want to restore(depending on how it shoots).the bore looks really good,nice and clean with deep grooves and the action feels pretty nice too me as well.
    The rear sight looks like it has been broken,there is only a battle sight,when I flip it over I can see where there used to be something else there.Can I replace the broken rear sight and if so which would be the correct sight for this rifle?
    I have also noticed that my front sight is lacking the two side pieces that was there to protect the front sight,is that replaceable also.

As of right now I have no cash in the rifle so if I have to spend a little to make this thing a shooter,than so be it.I like the look of the thing and the history of it as I read more and more about them..heck maybe even a total rebuild(full stock and what ever else I can do to get it back to its old glory)

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge,I greatly appreciate it

Bill Godbold
    aka,plumeatup
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  6. Before investing too much effort or money in the rifle, plum, get a borescope and take a good look at the condition of the rifling in the barrel. If that is in relatively good shape, the rifle might make a decent shooter. Polish is right on the headspacing; I would definitely have it checked, but if it is within tolerances, you should be OK. Ammo for the British .303 is readily available commercially, though milsurp stuff is getting harder to find. Power wise, the .303 British is roughly comparable to the old .30-40 Krag cartridge, also called the .30 Army and .30 Government. Perfectly adequate for deer.
  7. plumeatup

plumeatup New Member

Thanks again for the replies everyone.
    This morning I decided to take the rifle to have it checked out.I was told that the bore was in excellent(2 grove) and the head space was in specs and it has the #0 bolt head and was told that I can change the bolt head if the head space becomes out of spec.
    Now with a little more confidence about the rifle I buy a box of 303 ammo and set off to the range.I really was not expecting to hit anything being the rear sight is broken and the only thing I have is the field sight aperture to use...WOW,at 50yrds I was able to hold about a 4" group just 2" off bullseye.I was thinking thats not to bad considering all I have right now is the battle sight and a wide open front sight(no front sight ears).
    After taken this rifle to the range I feel it is worth me putting a little bit of time and money into it as I am sure with new sights installed I will be able to tight'n my shot groups up good bit,maybe even figure out a good scope mount for it.....
    Now is the time I have to ask for a little more help on finding the parts that I need or website links that will point me in the right direction in finding all I need to restore this thing...
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member