Need a little help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Newgun123, May 27, 2009.

1. Newgun123

Newgun123 New Member

I am new to reloading and have four guns that i would like to reload for two are hunting rifles in 30-06 and 270 that are mostly used for deer and the other two are varmint/target guns in .204 ruger and .17 remington. I have a press and every thing i need to complete the process of reloading but am not sure of what types of components to buy. I also have plenty of brass. does any one have any recommendations as to what types of powder and bullets i should use?
  2. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    The best thing to do is read up on a load in good manual and then decide what to do from there. I had the same question a few months back as I was just getting into reloading. I read my manual and then bought components based on what I wanted to try and what was available. Components are scarce righ now so it may be a matter of taking what you can get instead of what you want.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Newgun, I strongly suggest buying at least two reloading manuals, these are equally important as all the items involved in making your first completed round, you really should not take on reloading without them. I guarentee you will have plenty of time to read if you don't have primers and powder in hand. Welcome to the forum, you have entered the world of reloading in VERY interesting times for reloaders.
  4. Newgun123

Newgun123 New Member

Thanks for the advice I do have two books that I have been reading and all is going well. I was also wondering if any one had personal experience shooting 30-06 bullets and what they would recommend for deer hunting because there are so many types?

I am fairly set on buying hornady bullets for my .204 and .17 the Vmax has always worked well for me. as far as primers I have found a place that has them very often because they keep them behind the counter and you have to ask.
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

my personel fav for 30-06 is a 180 jsp with 43.5 grains of imr 4895........lots of knock down but still able to reach out and touch something.Dont have a 270 so no fav.
  6. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have always used 150 grain factory ammo for my -06 while hunting. You can get the same bullet that Winchester uses in their Ballistic Silvertip brand and reload with it. I know a lot of people like Barnes bullets for hunting rounds also. Even the standard loads from Win and Rem can do devastating damage to a deer. I'd guess that just about any quality bullet that will deform well but retain a lot of weight would be a good choice.