Need a pet load....45acp

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/20/02 9:04:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Need a pet load....45acp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Though "I" don`t reload, I have someone that does under my watch. Here`s what I`m looking for:

.45acp RNL 200grn
    Pistol is a Colt LW Commander

Looking for a soft load, powder-primer-best case

low 800`s,maybe just a tad under.

Was shooting 230 RNL. This pistol and me, don`t like hot loads due to the frame. Can switch springs, if you have a really light one (load that is) Thanks LTS

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/21/02 7:42:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Need a pet load....45acp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3.5 gr. Bullseye, CCI LP primer, 200 gr. SWC or RNL, GI Brass. That's my paper-punching and tin can load for my LW Commander.

It should function with an "original equipment" recoil spring. Anything lighter than that probably won't.

One hint.....when you clean your pistol, make sure you clean and lubricate the rails on both the frame and the slide (to keep any grit from accumulating and wearing on the aluminum frame rails). After cleaning, I lube them with just a little Lubriplate (white grease) on a toothpick....and work the slide back & forth to distribute it evenly.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/21/02 6:38:16 pm)
    Thanx X!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/21/02 8:52:44 pm)
    If you decide you want to go to an even lighter load, you can make a lighter recoil spring.

Take a standard Commander recoil spring and measure it's length. Cut off one coil and stretch it back to it's original length. Try it. Keep doing this, one coil at a time until it functions with whatever light load you're using.

Remember, you want to use the STRONGEST spring that will function with whatever load you use.

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (6/22/02 7:59:09 am)
    I have a Kimber Pro Carry with the alumminum frame. I shoot 230 lead round nose w/ 6.5 grains of AA #5, mixed brass with winchester primers. Seems to work well without beating the gun up..
    Very funny Scotty, Now beam down my clothes.

inplanotx
    (6/25/02 3:26:27 pm)
    LTS, I use the following and it will group very well. Federal brass, WLP primer, WW231 @ 5.3 grs. H
    I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!