Need a receipe for sausage

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Pistolenschutze, Feb 11, 2007.

1. OK, I'm finally gonna do something I've been wanting to try for a long time. I absolutely LOVE country style pork sausage (and the cholesterol be damned, ya only go around once :D ), but it's hard to find the good stuff (like the butchers used to make up) any more. I've got two pounds of ground pork to experiment with. What spices and whatnot do you folks suggest to go in it? The wife and I like it on the warm side, by the way, but with additional flavors. Got any "secret" receipes you're willing to share? :D
  2. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Pistol, here is the original recipe that I started with and I will list the changes that we like. Now I kind of like my food what I call spicy but some people say it is to spicy. :eek: But it gives you a place to start.

Title: Country Breakfast Sausage

Yield: 6 Servings
    1 Ib Pork, ground
    1 ts Cumin, ground
    1/2 ts Thyme, dried leaf
    1/2 ts Sage, dried leaf (I use a full teaspoon)
    1 ts Salt (I skip the salt )
    1/2 ts Pepper, freshly ground
    1/8 ts Cayenne pepper (optional) I use 1/2 teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon:eek:
    1. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight for flavors to blend.
    2. Shape into 6 patties. Cook in lightly greased skillet over medium heat about 15 minutes or until browned onboth sides and centers are no longer pink, turning occasionally.

The Thyme and Sage I use ground vise leaf.:D
    I hope this helps. catfish
  3. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

You know what they say, Pistol...

NEVER

1. Watch a bill being passed in Washington
    2. Lick your fingers after unclogging a toilet
    3. Watch sausage being made

Consider yourself warned!
  4. Thanks much, Cat! It sounds good and I'm gonna try it! :D
  5. catfish83861

Pistol, I noticed that you are going to try the recipe. :) Now I advise you to start with the original recipe and work up. Kind of like reloading.:eek: Don't start out at maximum load. Normally people tend to add more sage right of the box, then try a small sausage patty. You can add more of which ever you want a little at a time. Remember my favorite country to eat in is Thailand, everything there is hot. Well now a United States Navy sailor would have to take the words of one of the other branches about the girls. I might have been to busy working at the church. WOW Watch out for those lightning bolts :D catfish
  6. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

2 lbs is not enough meat for a batch of sausage.

When I make deer sausage, I mix it 50 / 50 meat, pork and pork fat.

Regular pork alone, such as off a pork butt is too lean for sausage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use Butchers Pepper - about 1 cup.

Paprika - about 1/2 a cup to 1 cup depending on the meat.

Salt - about 1 cup.

Meat Tenderizer - about 1/2 a cup.

Red Pepper - if you want to make hot sausage - and the stuff that you can buy to put on pizza will work just fine for that. 1/2 of one of them little shaker bottles will make it so hot you won't want to lick your lips.

Italian Seasoning - about 2 - 4 cups.

Fennel Seed - about 1 cups.

Rosemary - about 1/2 cup.

Dried diced onions - about 2 cups.

Worchestershire sauce - just a dash.

Sugar to make it sweet - about 1/2 to 1 cup per 20 lbs of meat. It will carmelize the meat when you fry it. So it can be a option.

Spring water - because the ingredients will dry out the meat. You want to meat to be very moist, because if you put it in the freezer it will dry out.

Pork butts - about 10 lbs.

Deer Meat - about 20 lbs

Pork fat - about 10 lbs.

Grind your meat and fat at the same time and mix the ingredients in a large pan and then grind again.

Fry a small amount in a cast iron pan and taste.

Do not use bread until you get the formula right or the bread will mask some of the taste.

Hog casings and a grinder that has a sausage stuffer attachment or a sausage stuffer is the best way to make sausage.

I usually make it 20 - 40 lbs at a time.

I usually freeze 20 lbs of loose bulk sausage and 20 lbs of rope.

That lasts me all year.
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

How did the experiment go Rich?

Crpdeth
  8. Haven't made it up yet, Donny. It's now a project for this weekend. It got sidetracked when my wife ended up using the ground pork I bought for lasanga! :D ;)
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Well it's perfect for that and spaghetti too! :D

Crpdeth
  10. Well, I made up the sausage last night, according to your receipe Catfish, and tried it out tonight with some eggs, hash browns, and toast. The result was, in a word, outstanding! :D That receipe is a definite keeper, and easy to make up too. I love that kind of sausage and it is so hard these days to find the good stuff. I'm going to make up a goodly supply for future use.
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Good to hear good results...Especially in the kitchen. :D

Crp
  12. catfish83861

Hey Pistol, Glad you liked the recipe and thanks for the pepper stick recipe also :D .I am in the process of making some Summer Sausage in the next three days. Takes four days for the spices to blend in well.I am using Elk meat instead of Bear but it is still good.Anyway when I take some to a game feed none comes home with me.Someone likes it pretty well.I also will post another pepper stick recipe shortly after I work the kinks out of the original recipe.:D catfish