Need accurate 9mm range/competition pistol

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by obxned, Jan 5, 2010.

1. obxned

obxned New Member

I am looking for a reasonably priced ($750 or less) 9mm range gun capable of making very small groups. The more accurate, the better. I am not planning on using it in one particular type of competition, but plan to try both bullseye and practical in the future. Other than having adjustable sights so I can easily use custom loads, I am open to any suggestions.

At present all my handguns are compact and sub-compact, ideal for carry and accurate enough for their intended purpose.
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I can't speak to anything except Bullseye, but I don't see anyone using 9mm in Bullseye competition. I don't know if it's because the 9mm isn't inherently accurate as other chamberings or because the cartridge doesn't lend itself to handling target loads. (Wadcutters, etc.) Maybe with some special tuning and such you could make a usable one up, but I haven't seen anyone trying it.
  3. obxned

obxned New Member

If and when I decide to get seriously involved in a particular type of competition, I will get a pistol specificly for that. In the mean time, I need a very good range gun that can be used to try out different types of matches to see what I like best.

I know that the best gun for bullseye is not going to be the ideal practical shooting pistol, and vica versa, and that no $700 gun will be perfect for either. However, I have to start somewhere.
  4. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

P7 used fits your budget

though its short sight radius will make 25 yards problematic,
    it will shine at 25 feet like no other

a S&W 952 is highly thought of also
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  5. cakes

cakes New Member

Isn't that the idea behind the Springfield XDm? Might be worth a look.
  6. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

I second the XD nomination. I have the 5" XD in 9mm and it is an enjoyable gun to shoot, extremely easy to disassemble and clean, and accurate out of the box. Now, in my personal experience, it did not like the Remington bulk pack I bought. The Remington bulk pack of FMJ simply lacked the power to cycle the slide and instead of firing with authority, these rounds would go off like a dull thud or a push. Perhaps I simply had a bad batch of ammo. After two magazines of the stuff, I simple gave the rest away at the range. I seem to have lucked out. For target practice, my XD likes a healthy diet of Winchester White Box FMJ. It can tolerate WOLF, but I think the WOLF I tried was a little hot for my preference. I wonder if that might have something to do with case design...aluminum cased Wolf versus Winchester brass.

ANYWAY, I know we are all here to share info and socialize. However, picking a gun is such a unique and personal decision that it's best left to you. Every gun is different. Every single copy of a production lot is unique. One man's nightmare of a pea shooter is anothers' favorite plinker. I would suggest you find a gun shop that also has their own range. We have one in New Orleans that lets you rent just about every common handgun they stock. You can spend an hour or two with the model of gun you are interested in before you commit to buying the new one. Good Luck.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Buy a Springfield XDM and when the time comes, send it to the Springfield Custom Shop. American Handgunner did an article on a custom shop XDM 9mm a few months ago. Not a one inch group but not bad.
    If you want sub one inch groups, buy a custom built 1911 and load your own ammo.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

9. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

Ruger SR9!!!!!! Great shooter!!!!!:D
  10. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

CZ SP01-http://czcustom.com/testproduct-298.aspx-only problem with CZ's is they are like potato chips, ya can't stop at one...I have the p01 and shot with a buddy who has a XDm-he went and bought a P01 the next day...
  11. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

my Glock 17 is plenty accurate and if you drop a Bar Sto barrel that will tighten up tolerences even more and make it more accurate.
  12. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I don't know if you have already bought or not, but I am looking at the Ruger SR9 and the CZ75. The CZ is probably the better pistol but he SR9 has great reviews, is American made, and is in the $400 to $500 range depending on models, etc.
  13. obxned

obxned New Member

I bought the CZ-85 Combat. I have only owned two pistols that were more accurate. One was a customized Gold Cup using match ammo. The other was a high-dollar .22 target pistol.
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would like to hear more about your experience with Ruger's SR9. My best friend purchased one last summer and the trigger pull was terrible. I had to wind up using index fingers on both hands to finish off a mag. He sent it to Ruger and it was returned with less terrible trigger but it is still bad, bad, bad. Have seen others give the SR9 good ratings so maybe this one is an exception. It functions fine in every other way except that horrendous trigger pull.
  15. dbltap

dbltap New Member

Yes on the 952 but that is double his budget. they are Performance Center guns. Perhaps when he gets serious.