Need advice on a potential problem

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by TCoggins, Dec 14, 2009.

1. TCoggins

TCoggins Member

Gentlemen - I have a potential issue that I would like some advice on. Last Christmas, my brother in law was showing me all his goodies in his gun safe. The last item he pulled out looked like a MAC-10 type gun. (Please don't flame me due to my ignorance, but I am more of a WWI / WWII firearm guy.)

This gun was left in his house by his wife's ex-husband. I don't know any history of it. I told him he needs to find out if it is full automatic or not, and if so, get rid of it. If it is only semi-auto, he needs to get a paper trail.

This summer, he passed away, and I don't know if he checked on this gun. It is still in the gun safe, in my sister-in-law's house.

If this gun is full auto, I suspect she can get into some serious trouble for having it.

My question is, what should I do to help her out? I don't want the gun. Do we take it to the police? Get a lawyer?

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject, but when it comes to firearms, I don't want to take any chances.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you.

Tim
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Tim,
    Look at the selector switch.
    With the firearm pointing away from you.

There were a few different configurations, but the selector switch is usually the giveaway.

It has been a LONG time, but I believe this is the way it goes. I may be wrong, and someone should be along to say so.

A semi-auto, on the right side, usually has either a piece of metal "in" the trigger guard, and it says above it on the frame "safe" and "fire" Or there is a switch "just" above the trigger saying the same.

A full-auto has a selector on the left side, above and "just in front" of the trigger guard.

No matter it's location, if it has 3 positions it can be switched to "and locked into" it could be full auto.
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

The first thing I would do is ascertain if it is semi or full auto. If it is not full auto just enjoy it, if it is I would destroy it myself with a torch. If you get the cops involved it may not end with just that gun and no one needs the grief. Also the older semi auto Mac 10 fired from an open bolt so if it does do not assume it is full auto. If you don't understand PM me and I will go into more detail. I have never seen a full auto gun so I don't know if they have separate selector or if it is incorporated with the safety.

Ron

I was called away from computer and pickenup got ahead of me, which is good thing, he obviously knows more about these guns than I do...
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Some people put full auto selector switches on semi auto guns, because it "looks cool". So, even a 3-position switch does not necessarily mean anything.

First, remove the magazine and pull the bolt back. If it goes forward, you have no problem. The gun fires from a closed bolt, and only the semis do that.

If it stays back, it fires from an open bolt, so could be full or an old semi.

Holding the bolt knob, pull the trigger, and let the bolt go forward. While still holding the trigger, pull the bolt back. If it locks back, it has a disconnector, and is semi.

If it will not lock back, as long as the trigger is being held back, you have a full auto gun.
  5. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

If I remember correctly the selector switch is on the left side of the weapon to the front of the trigger. There are versions that are semi auto only.
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the older mac 10 were so easy to convert to full auto it was scary. switch or no switch you were geiven sound advice does it fire from a open or closed bolt ?
  7. TCoggins

TCoggins Member

Thanks for all the replies. The gun in question is a 3 hour drive from my house, so it may be a while before i can get my hands on it to check it out. In the mean time, I will make sure it stays in the safe until I can inspect it.

Thanks.

Tim
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

is it possible that he had papers on it and it was a legal full auto? provided it is even full auto at all i mean
  9. 100 Bullets

100 Bullets New Member

Just because its open bolt does not mean it full auto. I have an open bolt semi and like it.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No one said it was. If it is a closed bolt, it is semi. If it is an open bolt, it might be full. Even if the selector switch does not show full, opens are so easy to convert, it still might be full.

Might.