Need advice on interstate transport of rifles

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by bobcam1, Oct 18, 2008.

1. bobcam1

bobcam1 New Member

Hello, all.....
    I have a group of rifles (about 20) that date from the mid 1800's through the early 1900's. They haven't been fired in at least 80 years, and I'm unsure if they're even operable.
    I would like to drive them from New Jersey to Florida and I'm wondering about the legalities of doing so. I do not have a C&R or FFL license, and I'm hoping that some of you can advise me on whether or not I can take them along with me on the trip.
    I will be driving from New Jersey and passing through Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Georgia, before arriving in Florida.

If transporting them by car is not advisable, I'd appreciate suggestions on other methods.

This trip will be in about 4 weeks, so I'd be grateful if I knew what to do, before then.

Thanks,
    Bob.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Bobcam - I don't know if you got an answer elsewhere for your guestion or not. I can tell you this, several years ago (while still in the Army) I was transferred to Rhode Island and I transported most of my weapons with me to there from Florida.

The rest I left with my father in Florida. In the five years that I was stationed in RI, I made a few trips home (Chirstmas and summer) and on each trip I took a weapon or two with me, all without any problems.

Five years later when I was transferred to Georgia, I again transported them, by car, to Georgia with me. I do not know the laws in each of the states that I came through and truthfully did not care about them. I was, and still am, a law abiding citizen who was transporting legally owned private property.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

As long as there in cases and unloaded they shouldnt bother you. Thats how i transport all my firearms.
  4. bobcam1

bobcam1 New Member

gdmoody, GoodOl'12gauge,

Thanks so very much for the help. I'm grateful to both of you for it.

Cheers,
    Bob.
  5. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    You can also lock them - pull out the bolts or whatever, and run a cable tie through the action in each one, so they'll be inoperable during the trip. They have to be stored out of reach, otherwise they're "in your possession". A locked trunk is the same as a case, though you ought to wrap them in blankets or something to protect them if you do that.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

And drive a reasonable speed and you shouldn't have problems with them in your trunk. If you leave your vehicle lock it so it won't get stolen.
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Also, make sure everything is legal on your car. The lights, registration, insurance and all that. And drive with a low profile. Do the speed limit. Get sleep. Basically just in case there is a question of legality make yourself unnoticeable to the local cops. Don't give them a reason to pull you over.
  8. sg5054

sg5054 New Member

Stay out of Massachusetts.:eek:
  9. transplanted texan

transplanted texan New Member

I know I'm to late but maby for future use might need this form A.T.F F 5320.20