1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need advice on Marlin Model 60

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ChainSaw, Jan 1, 2007.

1. ChainSaw

ChainSaw New Member

Howdy from Ft. Worth, Texas... where the west begins. My name is Kenneth, but most people call me Chain. Let me begin with "Wow.. a .22 rimfire specific forum". I found you guys just in time... after twelve plus hours of internet researching on this firearm.

Ok, here's the deal: I grew up with a busy father in an Air Force flight squadron while the cold war still existed. So, needless to say, we never got around to hunting and fishing. When I was 12-ish.. I took my allowance and my bike to the BX, got a rod & reel, and rode some five or so miles to a large pond that we had on base, in New Hampshire. So I broke the ice solo, and entered into the fishing arena. Since then.. I have been an avid fisherman, in search of the next level.

Two years ago, I got my first firearm (Mossberg 12g.) and went dove hunting a few times. Good times.

Roughly 9 months ago, my boss took me on a feral hog hunt. I took my 12g and a few slugs. First hog, from a standing position.. I missed. A few hours of stalking around, and asking myself if I knew what I was doin, I spotted two sow, about 45 yards out, opposite side of some thick brush of me. Deep breath. Kneel this time. Point at the only half-clear line I have. Wait.. and wait some more. Then I finally spotted an ear. Boom. Sack of potatoes.

Been on 2 more hog hunts since. Both without a firearm. Got my first 2 bowkills.

Ok, ok.. here comes the part with the .22 rimfire. Wife and I have two boys, and I must do for them, what my father couldnt. Introduction to firearm handling and hunting 101. Nathan, the oldest is twelve.. and had a blast being my bird dog.

So, I found at a pawn shop one day before Christmas.. a Model 60. A little beat up, only $63 out the door. I've never had or used a rifle of any sort myself.. but it looked to me, like it would be a good candidate for a first weapon for my twelve year old.

Before heading home, I stopped and got some (500) Federal .22 LR rounds. For 10 bucks, I couldnt beat it. Thats 2 cents a round. Then, I did what I should not have done... I went and fired it. The autoload action was not working. Great, now what? Well... rifle dissassembly/cleaning 101 for me. As it turns out, the forwardmost screw was the cause (as well as the several grams of unburned powder). The screw was not factory, and protuded about 1/4 in too deep actually blocking the rounds from backing to the reciever. Screw replaced, all mechanics well cleaned by myself & my brother... it starts pumping rounds to the reciever. I thought I might had been hornswaggled into a bad gun, but there's no such thing with the Model 90 apparantly. Aside of the barrel and stock, all other parts can still be bought. Suprised me, cause I knew the thing was made in 1978, (First two serials are 22, please correct me if Im wrong). Its actually marked Glenfield rather than Marlin.

Yesterday... the two boys, my brother, and myself went to a large open ranch with the repaired and cleaned rifle, a kiddie compound bow the kids also got for Christmas, and a couple shotguns. Some sighting targets, and several aluminum cans coupled with the gear we had... equaled 3 hours of the best times I have had with both my brother, and my boys in a long, long time. My seven year old swore up and down he would not shoot the rifle. Was he ever suprised to see the lack of kick, and interest sparked a flame in him. Not much can make a father as proud as I was, after watching Skyler pop off one round... pause for about 3/4 of a second... then unload about 10 more as rapidly as he can.

If anyone is still reading this novel I have inadvertantly created.. Here's the important part:

Last night, I ordered this scope: Tasco 3-7x20 Rimfire Rifle Scope RF37X20D. Your input on this rifle/scope combo would be much appreciated.

I'm also wondering if there are any other modifications that can be made to a Model 60. Trigger enhancement possibly. This trigger seems a bit sloppy. Its loose to about 2/3 of its stroke, then seems a little tough getting over the hump.

We shot about 250 rounds yesterday. We also had probably a dozen plus jams. The spent casing not completing the ejection. Once or twice in that event, two live rounds would make thier way out of the tube... and end up before the bolt. Is there a larger issue that my inexperience with semi-automatics is missing? Or is this, in general, the nature of the beast?

My final question falls on the capability of the .22 LR itsself. I've read that the round is great for smaller game such as squirrels, rabbits, etc. Ive also read its widly used on 'varmints'. Now how large a varmint would the projectile be effective on? Are people killing coyote near thier henhouses on a regular basis by just plinking a couple its way? The reason I ask this, is I have been offered an opportunity to go back to the hog hunting ranch this spring/summer specifically to cull and reduce the big baby boom that occurs on the ranch every year. The ranch owner is giving us an exclusive hunt to remove as many hog younglings as we can get. Alas, I get to the part where this rifle has reason. I want my twelve year old to be there with me, his Model 60 in hand. Im really referring to feral hog under say 40 lbs. Would the .22 LR be effective on the tough hide and bone that these creatures have? Or would it be quite effective on a 35 - 40 lb armored hog? Hitting the mark of course. I have a couple months to hone the boy into as well a marksman as he can be, and have confidence in his abilities. Or... will some of you guys bless me with "Train him on the .22, and let him hunt with something larger" or possibly "Have him shoot only at pigs 20 lbs & under" or something of that nature.

I know first hand they are some tough son of a guns. I nailed a sow with a carbon arrow armed with a Muzzy broadhead travelling about 275 fps from 20 yards, hitting in the sweet spot right behind the shoulderblade. The arrow penetrated not much more than 6 or 8 inches. Right off the bat, I thought "Oh no.. not deep enough". But I was wrong. The broadhead found both heart & lung... she was gone in less than 60 seconds.

I come to you for advice on modifiying, or repairing (or replacing) the rifle. Possibly someone knows something about having the barrel reblued. Some of you might have insight on the .22 LR's abilities on these creatures. Maybe some advice on letting a twelve year old hunt with a rifle. As I have never used one. Ill stick with my bow for a while.

Maybe someone will think I need advice on how to not sit here for 3 hours writing a novel,entailing half my life... just to ask a few simple questions.

Thanks in advance. Ill shut up now.
  2. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Welcome to the forum! Like you I wasn't really introduced to a firearm until my late teens even though my father collcts Revolutionary/Civil War muskets. The Model 60 is a timeless model and a very good beginner rifle for both adults and youths alike. A .22 provides hours of inexpensive shooting and an easy way to hone one's skills with the gun.
    For the refinishing...hate to say it but it may actually cost more than what you originally paid for the gun, however to some that's not an issue and with this being the first gun for the youngsters this may very well be the case. Been there myself. Didn't say if you were still in the NH area but most areas have a gunsmith that should be able to provide a decent job. Another, and proberly better, alternative is to inquire if the factory provides this service. Some I know will refinish and also d a "tune up" as well. I had Mossberg refinish a bbl at a very affordable price and they actually sent a brand new bbl instead since the one I sent had a bit of pitting. Worth a call.
  3. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

first off, this is a good rimfire site, also is http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
    now getting back to you. A 22 is good for all types of varmints, and will take out anything you want , up to fox. coyotes an hogs, you can as well, but you should be within 50 yds, and the yote, you should put the shot in it's neck or ear. the hog is an ear or eye only proposition. otherwise, their fat and hair are to good at 'swallowing up' a slow non explosive, non penetrating bullet.also make sure you are using hivelocity bullets. you could try using hypervelocity bullets, but make darn sure, you practice with them first. most mod 60's , and most 22's for that matter, cannot group the hyper rounds well.
    On the rimfirecentral site, you can find a couple of simple spring mods to brign that trigger down. other than that just clean and oil it down, inside and out. you see , the beauty of the mod 60 is, you can get them for 50 to 75 bucks all day long, and they should run forever. So you don't spend a bunch of money on them, or purtying them up. As for accuracy, they are one of your great choices, so there is little to do to make it more accurate. i mean , you could, i suppose, but why spend the money, again?
  4. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

one more thing, the scope is ok for paper punch, but not for game. you dont have enough of a field of view, and who knows how the parralax is on those things. go to an academy, since i live in Houston, I know you guys have academy up there. get you the tasco, in the hard plastic package. it is a 3.9.32 power scope, it has very clear glass. the pack also contains wearing glasses, and earmuffs. all this for 27.99 at Academy. best deal in scopes.
    Also they sell an even better scope, it will be in the airgun or paintball section.
    It is the Daisy air rifle rated scope, it is a 3.9.32 also, and about 34 bucks.
    these two scopes will really 'widen' your field of view, also when you teach your son to shoot, make sure he is keeping his off eye , slightly open. have him count fingers from you , while he is looking through the scope. the reason is, when you are in the field, and are shooting at one target, moving or not, you need to use your peripheral vision, to spot other movement, or possible targets, moving into your field of view, downrange. you can tell him that it is to see other hogs, while he is aiming at one, with his other eye.
  5. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

one last thing, have him zero it for 50 yds. take no shots out of this range.
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Chain Saw, a .22LR will kill darned near anything on earth, certainly anything here, in Texas, (I'm near San Antonio) if you do your part!
    Personally, for kids, me included, I prefer single shot rifles, as there is a marked safety factor, in them, but that's a judgement call.
    Were I to buy a semi-auto, the Ruger 10-22 has more goodies available, for accuracy, reliability, etc, than all the rest.
    Presently, I am building a single shot rifle, in the caliber (I think), for a grandson, 8 years old.
    It is more than just a rifle (See the post "Yo Stash", above this one), but all has been pretty well laid out for him to learn to shoot well, with the project.
    True enough, the best costs more, but these are your kids, and the better the gear, the less excuses, for poor performance, they can offer.
    Were I gonna 'buy' a factory gun for one of my grandkids, the CZ/Brno bolt guns would be at the top of the list; they are accurate, reliable, and handle well, and removing the bolt(s), (2 boys, right?), render them quickly and easily inert.
    You must do what you will, subject to budget, and other restrictions, but the CZ rifles are the best value on the planet, IMHO.
    Welcome, again, to our wierd world!!!
  7. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I would hate to go on a hog hust with a 22LR. 22 Mag at the least and that limits you to an ear shot. I've never shot a hog with a 22LR so I can't say one way or another. Stash247 and Rangerruck say you can. I've read lots of posts by these guys and trust their judgement. If they say you can do it, then you can do it. I'm just not brave enought to go hog hunting with a 22 LR.
    I think everybody has had a Glenfield 60 or two at one time or another.
    They used to go on sale every year. One of the least expensive 22's you could get. I shot a zillion rounds thru mine and cleaned every piece after every shoot. When it finally wore out, I sold it to a pawn shop for $20 with a
    bushnell 4x scope on it and walked away happy.
    I would buy one again. They had Marlin's micro groove barrel and mine was very accurate. We used to lay our 22's on a stick of firewood on top of the well house and shoot leaves off of bushes by shooting the stems.
    As with any 22, it is imperative to keep it clean. 22's are dirty cartridges and the rifles will get gummed up until they won't function if you don't keep them clean. I've seen lots of them that were thought to be broken but simply needed cleaning,
  8. smithd50

smithd50 New Member

My $.02:

nice choice! the model 60 is the popular gun in the world for a good reason. they're accurate as heck, and they're cheap!

a .22 is okay on little hogs like you're interested in, but i would never go bigger than that. only head/neck shots, too (head means eye/ear, so i wouldn't push your luck...that's a small target for a beginner like your kiddo). hogs are tough, and just because you can kill some with a .22 doesn't mean you should. definitely use high-velocity ammo with heavy bullets too (40gr.). hate to rain on your parade, but i wouldn't do it, personally.

i've taken lots of squirrels and rabbits up to 75 yds with a model 60, so i know it can shoot, but there really isn't a lot of power behind a 40grain bullet going 1250fps out of the muzzle once it gets to 50 or 75 yds.

and if you've got accuracy problems, replace it. they're cheapish, and I would testify in court that a newer 60 with a decent scope (.22 scopes are parallax-set to 50yds) can shoot dimes at 50 yds.

that double-feed problem: make sure the extractor is actually pulling the spent shell out before a new shell comes up from the magazine. if that's happening, clean the living crap out of it. it that's not it, i probably can't help you.
    have fun. be safe with your boy...he'll love that .22
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

howdy, as far as your model 60 goes, i'd say drop that scope and put a simmons 4 x 32 or similar on it, but first i would say contact marlin firearms and see if they would be willing to inspect and repair it. if they wont, i know that a compitant gunsmith could replace several small parts and get it functioning properly if cleaning isnt the problem, they probably wouldnt charge much either. the local here would charge maybe 25 if it needed a bunch of stuff done to it. i can smooth my own triggers, but normally marlin triggers are a little heavy, but crisp to me. best thing to try on that first is a big gob of white grease on the sear/ trigger and all associated pivot points, sometimes thats all it takes, hope i helped some

~johnny
  10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I'd be very leary about even drawing a bead on hog with a .22lr or even a mag. I went hunting last year in southern GA and had the misfortune of bein close to some yayhoo who thought it be funny to take a pot shot at a hog at about 60yards with a 22mag. Here was the problem, I was closer to the hog than 60yards and I was at a broadside view and Mr. Ferrel Pig knew i was there and he seemed unconcerned at the moment. When Toothless Georgia Jimbob took his head on shot right between the eyes. Mr. Pig was unimpressed and a little angry. I was able to elude Mr. pig by taking refuge in a young pecan tree. I would pick something a bit larger for pigs.
  11. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

Rimfire Central has already been mentioned. The Marlin 60 forum there has a wealth of information, including trigger work, as well as many, many, knowledgeable Marlin owners willing to answer any questions.
  12. 94z07

94z07 New Member

I had an uncle who reliably killed hogs with a .22 LR. First he would put them in a chute that would keep them immobile then he would pop them in the forehead just above the eyes.

So for hunting if you can get your prey to stand perfectly still while you walk right up to it then a .22 should be just fine for hogs. Otherwise, I'd figure on something larger than a .22 :p

I think of my uncle's hams every time someone writes or says something like "A .22 can't even penetrate denim jeans...blah blah blah" I think Bobby Kennedy would disagree.