Need advice on old Stevens shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by alohamed, Oct 19, 2008.

1. alohamed

alohamed New Member

I recently bought out a gunsmith's collection of old junk single shot shotguns. Most were the usual Remingtons and Winchesters, with lots of Iver Johnsons and Hopkin and Allens, but one is quite unique. It is an old hammerless J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. single barrel, break action 12 ga shotgun with a safety on the tang. The only number on the gun is ZE 708. Maybe this is the serial number. The working are very intricate, not at all like most single shot guns. It is made like a clock inside. I have not been able to find any info on this, not even a model number, date or picture. Does anyone have any idea of what I have here? Any info or sources of info you can recommend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker New Member

I have six Stevens hammerless single barrels illustrated in my reference book. They are: the Model 180: 12.16, 20 gauges, steel barrels 26,28, 30, 32 and 36 inches, checkered pistol grip and forearm made 1900 to 1917. Model 182, 12 gauge only, 32 inch barrel only, made 1900 to 1917, Model 185, Model 190, Model 195 (this one had an octagon breech) and the Model 375. All of these guns were made between 1910 and 1917 and all had safetys on the upper tang. Information on old Stevens guns is hard to come by but there is one source. That is:
    Older Stevens Historical Research
    c/o Mr. John Callahan
    53 Old Quarry Road
    Westfield,MA 01085
    There is a research fee of $15.00 per request.
  3. alohamed

alohamed New Member

Thanks for the help. You mention a reference book. Which book is that? Maybe if I saw some pictures I could ID by model. Let me know the title and I will track it down. Thanks!
  4. Anchor Clanker

The book is "The Breech Loading Shotgun in America 1865 to 1940" by Joseph T. Vorisek and I'm sorry but it's no longer available. The author died in December 2006 and the book was self published. It is or was a three volume reference and cost $125.00.
  5. Anchor Clanker

One more thought. You might try contacting Stevens for more information. The address is
    Older Stevens Historical Research
    C/O Mr. John Callahan
    53 Old Quarry Road
    Westfield,MA 01085
    There's a $15.00 research fee per request.
  6. alohamed

alohamed New Member

Thanks for the help!