The Firearms Forum banner

Need advice-Please see reply by beanpole under self defense tactics & weapons

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  beanpole 
#1 ·
Relatively newcomer. I replied to a post asking questions about a scope for an AK47 and a laser for a Taurus PT92 9mm. Would appreciate any advice given. Thank you. Bill

#2 ·
What advice are you looking for?

#3 ·
I have a pre-ban model 56s norinco AK 47. I purchased it new in 1985. I have fired only one shot through it. It has the sling and a bayonet and I purchased two tins of ammo at the time.-7.62x39. I just bought a scope mount online for it. It is a top mount that replaced the receiver cover. There is a hole through the mount that enables one to use the iron sights with a scope mounted. My goal is not to shoot long range. I would like advice as to what kind of scope is advisable for the AK. I really am not learned about all that is offered in the way of optics. My thoughts were to get something that would help me to hit something fairly accurately at 100-200 yards and under. I am 74 years young, my eyes are not as good as they once were, and I also shake a little. I also have a Taurus PT 92 - 9mm. (Full size) I would like some advice as to whether or not there is a laser available for that weapon. Is there much difference in red or green? Makes or models? I would be greatful for any and all advice. Thank you. Bill

#4 ·
The scope mounts that replace the dust cover are not good choices for scopes as they move. I used a side mount on mine but wasn't concerned with using the iron sights. Had a Leapers 3-9x32 scope on it that worked fine. I have a cheap Barska 3-9x40 that was under $35 off Walmart's website mounted on my .50 black powder rifle that's worked fine for me as well.

#5 ·
Mogunner: Thank you for the response. What is a Leapers scope? Does it matter about the length of the scope on an AK? Does a scope like your 3-9x32 let in less light than a 3-9x40? Does it matter about the "cross hairs/retiticle/other marks/red versus green, etc. etc" make any difference on ease of aiming? Thank you.

#6 ·
In my personal opinion, I think the B Square type receiver cover scope mounts work just fine. It's true that they sometimes have some slack in them, but the AK is not a target rifle, it's a battle rifle. All the parts are made to have a little slack in them. These guns, the AK, and SKS, type battle rifles are not intended to be tack drivers. They work well out to 100 yards, and a little further. I would suggest that you try any of the "Aim Point" type sights. They are quick to get on target, and will keep you dialed in on targets moving, or static. Remember that pin point accuracy will not happen with the AK. So don't expect it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.