Need advice/ recommendations

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Eddie N, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Asking those with more experience than I. (Probably just about everybody:D).
    Looking for a small pistol, easily concealable, 9mm or .380. Price is a consideration, but not the major consideration. I've looked at Kel-Tec PF9 & P11, Bersa Thunder (.380) and a few others. Needs to be easy to maintain, etc. So far, I'm leaning toward either of these three. Can anybody give me some other suggestions? Would like to hear from somebody who has experience with these and others. Thanks.
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

All decent guns eddie, I like the PF9 over the p-11 and I really like the bersa 380 too. By the way, I have a new pf9 and a p-11 if your interested I will sell either one for $239.00 plus $13.00 shipping. I am sold out of the bersa.
  3. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

I think the best way to decide is to find the one that meets your needs. Go to a range where you can shoot as many as you can find and the one that feels best in your hands, and the one you are comfortable with is the one you should buy. That said I will let you know I carry the Beratta Nano. It is a very concealable gun. Only .9 inches wide and fits very nicely inside a waist band. It is a well made gun and has very manageable recoil which in my mind is important. It is a 9mm and can hold 6 +1 rounds. It is sensitive to 115 grain ammo so be aware of that. I only carry high power rounds for self defense so I dont care about the few guns that have had a report of not liking 115 grain ammo. Good luck and you're doing the right thing by researching. Just make sure you listen to yourself though. It's may end up being your life you need to protect. I can't tell you whats right for you, only you can.

Good luck and be safe. Let us know what you decide..
  4. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Thanks, Bill. I know what I'm looking for. Just was looking for somebody who has experienced any of them. And I'll check out Beretta, also. I own a Neos from them that I like.
    Dan, you drive a hard bargain. Even with transfer fee it's less than what I found at their site. And if it weren't for a large repair bill for the car, I'd buy both. Have to wait on that, though. I really like the look of the PF9, but the P11 holds more shots. Just out of curiosity, can you post a pic of one or both with your hand for scale?
  5. ms6852

ms6852 Member

6. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Thought about Walther. A little out of my price range, right now. Believe me, if I could, I would.
  7. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

Ruger LCP or LC9. Both are very concealable and low cost. I have them both.

I also have a S&W M&P 9c. I REALLY like this one. If you buy the M&P 9c I recommend you shoot it before you lay down your cash. Mine jammed on EVERY round and had to do some alterations to the bolt face. I think it is fixed now.
  8. odentheviking

odentheviking New Member

Could not agree more! I prefer the classics and the Walther PP or PPK can not be beat. If it were me I would wait until I could pick one up, why buy twice. But that is just me. Thanks for listening, Paul.
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just sold the pf9, sorry.
  10. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I looked and upgraded from 380 to 9 mm and bought a PF 9. It fits in my pocket and carries more punch than the 380. I still carry my LCP when I have smaller pockets, but prefer the 9.
  11. Lee D

Lee D New Member

since you asked for other suggestions, .38 snubby.
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Smith and Wesson Model 642. You can't go wrong and I have seen them used for $350. My wife has one.
  13. Lee D

Lee D New Member

heck, ive seen em new for not much more than 350. but yes, i will agree on the 642.
    in my opinion S&W a far better choice than anything made by KT and Bersa
  14. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Imho I have owned the keltec .380 and opted to go with the Ruger LCP. It's lines are smoother and I've had zero problems with it. In the summer, I have it with me all the time. In the winter, when I can wear the bigger gun easier, I went with the Glock model 27 (which I bought the lone wolf kit for and changed it from.40 to 9mm.) I changed calibers as I've had medical problems and lost some wrist strenght. The lcp fits in my front pants pocket very comfortably.
    good luck, let us know your choice.
  15. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I would suggest the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 with the integrated laser which costs about $350 or maybe less. The laser on these is very bright and can be seen at SD ranges even in bright sunlight. For someone that isn't a practiced shooter this can make a huge difference. If you put that laser dot on something and pull the trigger chances are that something will have a hole in it soon. That's a very good price on a great weapon system IMO.

I haven't lived with any of these pistols so I'm not commenting on potential problems. My friend does have a Walther .380 and he's had some problems with it. His wife was using it as a carry piece but they went with a Bodyguard because of those problems. I generally carry a larger gun myself so I can't say for sure about smaller caliber guns. I know my Taurus has been absolutely flawless through about 6000 rounds or more. It has not failed to function perfectly even one time and that's using a wide variety of ammo when I was looking for the best ammo for it. It holds 10 rounds of .45 ACP ammo plus one in the pipe and it's only 1.25" thick. Most single stack pistols are that thick and that's 9mm pistols. For a double stack .45 to be that thin is just amazing. There's a lot that's amazing about that gun actually.

I also have a Sig P220, a SA XDM in .40, a S&W 629 revolver in .44 magnum and a piece of junk Raven P-25 that used to work fine but hasn't in a long time. I wouldn't be scared to carry any of the other guns for SD at any time. I currently carry the XDM because it holds so many rounds but I carried the Taurus for years and still do sometimes and I carried the Sig for even more years than the Taurus and it has been a great pistol. I do carry the Smith sometimes but that's usually more for protection against dangerous game instead of two legged skunks.