Need ADVICE, regarding .308 vs. 7.62 Nato

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CCubed, May 28, 2005.

1. CCubed

CCubed New Member

I recently purchased a Spanish Mauser, FR7. Naturally, on the receiver is stamped "7.62", it's not a 7mm, i.e., 7x57. I've read a lot about the major differences between the 7.62 Nato round and the .308 Win. Some of it's a bit too technical for me, but I did get one thing: the 7.62x51 round is less powerful than the modern .308 Win. If, however, I purchase .308 shells with as few grains as I can find - or if I buy surplus, non-corrosive 7.62x51 Nato rounds (because the 7.62 Nato round is, supposedly, not the original 7.62 round designed to be fired in the FR7) - would it be safer? I really am not into reloading. I'm caught between both sides: I want to be safe, but if .308 rounds will work and are easier, cheaper to use, then I'd rather shoot them. What should I do?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi CCubed.......welcome to TFF.

While the .308 is more powerful (62,000 psi maximum) than 7.62 NATO (50,000 psi maximum), the biggest problem is in cartridge case dimensions and chamber sizes between rifles chambered for the military and the commercial round.

http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/7_62vs308.htm

http://www.fulton-armory.com/308.htm

There were two Spanish Mausers generally issued.....the FR-7 and the FR-8. The 7 was based on the 1916 Mauser two lug design, the 8 on the 1943 Mauser 3 lug design.

Bottom line.......stick with 7.62 NATO ammo.
  3. 155gunner

155gunner New Member

Stick with the 7.62 NATO rounds. They are cheaper than commercial .308 anyway. Buy a 500 or 1,000 round case and you're set for a long time if the FR-7 is all you're shooting. Avoid the 7.62 made in India, lots of bad press about that stuff.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

All right, let us dispell the myths here. The 7.62x51 NATO and the .308 Winchester were BOTH developed by Winchester in 1952 BEFORE its adaptation by the U.S. military. This gave Winchester the first to market in the .308 Winchester round. Both the .308 and 7.62x51 are the same dimensionally as far as case is concerned. However, we all know that military brass is ALWAYS thicker than commercial brass. It is meaningless none the less as BOTH are held to SAAMI pressures of 62,000 PSI. A lot of people read pressures of C.U.P. and PSI as the same. THEY ARE NOT!!!!
    CUP pressures are in the 50,000 CUP range for this round. Go read your reloading manuals correctly!!

Therefore, to the question asked, you can use EITHER the 7.62x51 military round or ANY .308 Winchester round by ANY manufacturer and they will be the same.

Now, the .223 vs 5.56x45 is a different story.

Hope this helps dispell a myth about the .308 Winchester vs the 7.62x51mm.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

I shoot a bunch of rifles, in this caliber, and have found the HIRTENBERGER surplus ammo, to be as accurate, and much cheaper, than the LC Match stuff the Govt sells, from time to time.
    Last time I bought, the hirt brought 130 US/case,in quantity( I bought all he had), but, at .13 a round, I cannot reload for the caliber, as cheaply!
    Shoots good, and cheaply, in all all I own, but it's 148gr ball ammo, so choose your purpose, before ammo.
    Reloading Manuals, today, reflect the very conservative approach our litigious society demands, and, if followed, will not lead one wrong.
    If you use the (more conservative) 7.62 Nato spec loads, designed for the extremes of climate, worldwide, you will never be wrong; but, the truth is, this is a caliber that shines at less than max loads, so don't be in a hurry to re-invent the wheel. It's hard to find a bad load, for rifles in this caliber!
  6. CCubed

CCubed New Member

Thanks for the response. My doubts, though, were not about the size of the rounds. I understand that, technically, they're the same - although the military rounds do have thicker metal skin, as you pointed out. The real question I have is, is it safe to fire a low-powered, commercial .308Win round in the Spanish Mauser FR7. I'd like to buy NATO rounds in bulk, and I will. But, I'd like to know whether or not I can safely shoot commercial rounds in the FR7.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You can shoot either safely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. CCubed

CCubed New Member

Thanks, inplanotx!
  9. CCubed

CCubed New Member

inplanotx, I have a question: Xracer has been a big help and answered a lot of questions I've asked (you've been a big help Xracer, thanks!). But, he says that I really need to be picky about what I shoot in the FR7. I asked about the safety of the Mauser bolt, and he responded (if I recall correctly) that it's a two lug, while the FR-8 is a three lug bolt. What's your opinion?
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Xracer is more informed than I on the Mausers. He would not steer you wrong.