1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need advice with o/u

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Loaded Willy, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Loaded Willy

Loaded Willy New Member

I am looking into a new 12 ga o/u. I was told that the Ruger Red Label or the Weatherby Orion Upland would be good starter models to shoot Trap and sporting clays. Any suggestions? Also is the 28" the right way to go?
  2. steelshooter

steelshooter New Member

Willy,

I have to say I’m happy that you haven’t been advised to pick up a “trap” gun. You’ll do just fine with a field gun considering that you want to shoot sporting clays too. I’ve been shooting trap for about 25 years now and I think the first question I would be asking myself is. Do you just want to shoot clay targets or would you like to have an upland bird gun that will also do well at the range? If you do, and considering how much you’re talking about spending I’d look real hard at the Benelli Montefeltro or M1. Their light, very fast to the shoulder and point like your finger.

If you really would like a stack barrel and there is nothing wrong with that, I would look first at the Franchi Alcione. For the money I don’t think you could do better. Anyway for the kind of money you’re talking about spending for an over and under my list would be in this order.

Franchi Alcione
    Browning Citori
    Weatherby Orion
    Ruger Red Label

Good luck and let us know what you pick up
  3. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Loaded Willy, Let me be the first to welcome you to TFF we hope you post often and enjoy the site.
    As for the stack barrels, I have never heard a complaint about the Citori's and only a few complaints about the Rugers(mostly that they were Rugers) But I think that any of the guns Steelshooter listed would work for you.
    I am a Ruger fan myself but I do not own a Ruger shotgun,my choice was a Bennelli SBE.
    As for the 28" barrel if that is what you want and it works for you go for it,but with the chokes we have today you can get by with a shorter tube.I went with a 26 on mine and am very happy with it.
    I shoot a few clays, geese and pheasants and like the way a shorter barrel handles.
  4. Loaded Willy

Loaded Willy New Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I will definitely consider the shorter barrel length and brands. This week I will go to a local gun store and try a few out.
  5. warpig

warpig Guest

Welcome to TFF

The reason that the barrel length just doesn't matter much anymore is that with the poweder used today all the powder is burned up by the time the load is 18-19 inches down the barrel. Thus the longer barrel no longer gives more velocity in a shotgun.

The longer barrel can make a differance when you consider the longer sight plane, which would come in handy for trap shooting and slug shooting.

The are a couple schools of thought on the longer barrel as it relates to how the gun swings.

Some say that the longer barrels weight makes your swing carry through when on a moving target. This enables the barrel to stay out in front of a target as it should.

Some say that the longer barrel slows down the swing and target aquisition and is just generally unwieldly. This is the one I favor. I like the shorter barrels for hunting and sporting clays.

Bottom line is to get the one that fits you and feels the best when it comes up to your shoulder.

Browning is kind of the standard when it comes to over under shotguns. They are not cheap. They do have about a jillion different variations to offer though. Remington and Winchester are also offering O/U shotguns. SKB is worth checking out also. They are high quality. Weatherby and Franchi are good guns also.

BB338 has probably heard me talking about the Ruger Red Label shotguns at the sporting clay range. The ones I have been around have had a habit of firing both barrels off at once and also having the safety quit working. When ever one of these conversations come up all the Ruger guys jump in and tell how great Ruger customer service is at fixing the broken guns that have been sent in (they gets lots of practice). Not saying the other manufacturers don't have problems but......That alone should tell you something.
    Just my experiences.
  6. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

OPINION ALERT! CONDITION: ORANGE.

I won't stick up for The Red Label because most things Ruger leave me cold. I do have a RRR in in 20 ga. and and I have to admit it's been very good to me. I know that basing a conclusion on one specimen sets up a potential sampling error that is astronomical but I've put a lot of rounds down the pipe and the thing is still as tight as a snare drum.

When I went shopping for it, I tried almost every gun in the shop. The 20 ga. Red Label with 28" bbls is the one I came home with. It really annoyed me that the Ruger was the one that came up, balanced and swung the best of the whole mess.

I'm a double trigger kind of guy but the selector has become second nature for me (never the slightest malfunction, either). I like pretty shotguns--the Ruger ain't. I like a side by side but I shoot way better with an over/under. Likewise, the short barrels. I just find the short barrels are not much advantage in the thick stuff and they really make for a choppy swing on longer shots.

Even though I find Ruger firearms to be completely devoid of "personality" and warmth, the Red Label is the one I grab when I'm headed out to hunt the wily and dangerous Ruffed Grouse. Pheasant? Red Label. Ducks in the sunken timber? Red Label. Rabbits? Red Label.

I always wanted that little Browning o/u with the short barrels and the schnabel forend. If I had gotten it I know it would have been sold off by now. The Ruger stays with me--even though I really don't like it very much. Go figure.
  7. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

Hmmm...let's see...

I have had several guns I shot trap with over the past 25 or so years. The ones I liked..I kept. The ones I didn't went away fast.

My all time favorite is a 30" Remington 3200...I have kinda retired her.

I have a Citori with a 32" barrel that I love. 32" may seem excessive, but I hit continually with it. I have always felt, as Piggy states above, that it helped me on the follow through. I am only 5'9" tall with short arms...but it works great for me.

My newest is a 28" Red Label. As grunt said, it just felt the best. I have not had a lick of trouble with it and I have shot it plenty!

These of course, are for Trap shooting. I have to agree (esp. if funds are an issue) that a dual purpose gun is probably a good idea. There are so many available...especially in the price range you are talking about...just go look and see what feels best to you.

If funds are not an issue...by all means, get a dedicated trap gun. That way you also get to get one for the field, one for the boat, one for the brush, one for home protection...you get the idea!

With guns...more is ALWAYS better!!
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2003