Need an Ax, what to get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caneman, Nov 5, 2012.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Their is no such thing as "One good Axe"

You will need THREE...(maybe FOUR)

Your FIRST axe should be a good "Single Bit." If anybody can get by with only ONE axe, it would be a "Single Bit."

YES it can "split" firewood. YES it can "Fell" trees. YES with the hammer end it can drive wedges to split HEAVY blocks of wood....

...and I never went anywhere in the woods with a chainsaw WITHOUT also a good single bit and a couple of wedges. (you have to clean the mud off the logs to keep from dulling the saw, trim off the logs the little limbs and twigs which will screw with the saw, and also be ready to "free" a "stuck"saw with the plastic or aluminum wedges...)

...but it will do NONE of them as good as a specialized "axe."

You need a "Go Devil" or "splitting sledge" to efficiently split logs for firewood. The traditional 6 lb "splitting sledge will do you well.

Many specialized "Mauls," with heavier "wedge" shapes and even metal handles will work a little better, but a good 6lb "Splitting Sledge" will do you fine. I have split many of cords of wood with one since I was a kid.

But it will NOT "Fell" a tree.

For "Felling," you need a good "Double Bit" axe. The Double Bit CAN split wood, but will not do as well as a Single, and nowhere NEAR as good as a Splitting Wedge or Maul, but is indespensable. Plus a double bit makes good kindling as well....

You just have to admire a good man with a double bit....if you haven't tried to drop a good sized tree with one you should try it....yeah it will be nowhere near as fast as with a chainsaw, but also nowhere NEAR as hard as you think it will be, plus no GAS...;)

It IS a "Poor Man's Chainsaw..." and a HELLUVA lot of the Farmland east of the Mississippi was created WITH one....

DROP the tree with the Double, cut it up with the Single, and split it with the "Go Devil" to burn it.....try it, it WORKS....

And yeah, with any good axe, you sharpen with a bastard file...
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I have this 'axe.' :D

[​IMG]
  3. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

I personally don't like Stihl, the balance is off on the older ones and WAY off on the newer ones. The 029 farm boss was the last good one they made, but as with all good things....... I'm gonna try a husky next time, they feel right and husky makes good stuff still. DON'T get a poulan they are cheap junk!!! Have never had good luck with em. I like the old homelites but they are no longer in business. Also when you buy a saw get a good Oregon chain when you buy. They make the best chains out there.
  4. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 New Member

nice ax!!
  5. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Just get yourself a general all purpose axe to start with. Smaller pieces split easy along the grain if they don't have knots in them. I'd start with one that has a composite handle rather than one with a wood handle. When you miss with a wood handle you tend to start a destruction of the handle (and you do miss sometimes when you are getting used to splitting wood). Get a wedge for driving in with a small sledge hammer also. For wood that just doesn't want to split the wedge will split it. Other than that, get a fancy gas powered splitter ;)
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I prefer wood handles but I so have a could of mauls with fiberglass. Either way I take a roll of electrical tape and start wrapping arounf the handle starting at the head and working down about 4 or 5" then back up again and continue till my tape is gone. Looks funky but if you miss that is where you usually hit the handle and eventually break it. The tape will spread out the shock and cushion the blow keeping your handle clean and sound.
  7. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

If you are looking for a small hand axe try Duluth Trader on line I bought a combo game gutting knife and a small hand ax. It is good steel.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

My chopping and splitting days are pretty well over now but I still carry a single bit that has moved from truck to truck for the last 40 years or so. It still wears a leather sheath that dad made way back when.

When ever someone mentions an axe I picture two little boys in the back yard watching their dads kill one of two chickens granny had ordered for supper. The dads killed the first one with a rusty old double bit and then the two little boys said "Let us kill the other one, please". OK you can do it but what ever you do DON'T LET GO of that chicken after you cut it's head offwere the instructions. You know what happened. We managed to cut the head off with out a problem but of course we let go and jumped with joy as that headless chicken ran all around the back yard. Oh the great memories of youth.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

There is allways the Gene Simmons.

Attached Files: