The Firearms Forum banner

Need an expert

768 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Jakeburns 
#1 ·
Hi guys just signed up. Looking for some help on a new gun I have. It is a Harrington & Richardson Arms Co Worchester Miss. USA Pat Pend. Feb. 23 & 27 1900 serial number A926. Can someone please shed some light on this gun. Would be much appreciated

#4 ·
What kind of info are you seeking? It's pretty basic. It's an early 1900's H&R single shot shotgun. Nothing fancy, very utilitarian. The 1900 patent indicates that it is safe for modern smokeless ammo. If it locks up tight and bore is in decent shape it should be safe to fire. I'd stick to low brass mild loads. Not a lot of value. If it were in pristine like new condition, it could have modest collector value. As is, it's just another good old beater H&R shotgun. $100. tops. There's lots of similar old shotguns like this around. Yours appears to be in decent condition as these guns go. Most all show signs of age and hard use.

#6 ·
"Choke" has nothing to do with the ammo. It refers to the size of the bore at the muzzle and how large a "pattern" of shot the gun throws (shoots). Wider patterns for fast smaller birds generally fired at at closer range. Such as quail. Tighter for longer shots such as ducks. I would guess that most of these old shotguns are Full choke. Which is a tight pattern.
What you want to look for is shot size and shell brass size. Shot size is on the box. generally 8 or 7 etc. 8 being small "bird shot". Brass on the bottom of the shell is "high" or "low". Which indicates height. "Low brass" shell are lower powered. "High Brass" are higher powered. I'd recommend Low for your old shotgun. This is a pretty basic explanation. You can probably find more detailed info online easily. Such as this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(firearms)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.