need case headstamp id

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

was digging thru my one-of and odd cartridge tub ( looks like a margerine tub with lots of odds n ends in it ). pulled one out that looked very 308-ish to me.

caliper says projectile is .308 right where it enters the case neck

quick check on a lyman case gauge says it is 308 . compairing it to an empty i have.. i'd have to agree on it being 308...looking at the rear it has a sealed and crimped primer.. so me thinking 762x51

seal is green.. and the crimp is 3 small almost imperceptable divots equi spaced around the primer. headstamp looks like

EN-70-3

any ideas?

thanks
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ishapore 7.62?

seen some indian ammo with EN , i'll take a look in the morning , i got some with a rifle a few weeks ago ,

i dont think i've tossed it yet ...
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

pretty sure it is en.. unless it is FN.. i scribbled some notes down to ask you guys.. again.. and real sure it is EN.. but then.. i write notes.. so the mememory ain't 100%

appreciate any info you guys can find.

yeah.. i'm deffinately thinking mil brass witht he micro crimping and sealed primer. it's also FMJ

looks good though..and is brass cased.

over the years i end up with odd cartridges now and then.

have bought ammo boxes and got home and had an odd one stuck in a foam insert.. or the funny ones.. I've bought bags of used brass and every now and then find a loaded round... those I usually pull in case it was range pickup and might have been a dud or squib.. etc.

vave bought a gun or two that was lloaded. or at least the magazine was loaded ( side note. amazes me to see how many people bring loaded guns to a show to sell. some people i know run a local show and the table where they tie the bolt open..etc. there is always a coffee can full of ammo there. they say 1 in 5 guns comes in loaded! weird! )

I've also bought assorted ammo in ahlf boxes and whatnot and ended up with a few mixes.

once bought a 303 brit rifle and the guy gave me a 'half box; of ammo. IE.. have about half the brass as empties for relaoding.. gave me a set of dies.. and thent he other half the ammo was still laoded. of a 20 rnd box.. there were 18 shells. again.. about half empty, have laoded.. and then one I noticed different. it was 8mm mauser.. :)

that's how I end up with a butter tub of odd cartridges or 1-of brass on my reload desk..

scarry=iest one i bought was looking at a COP357.. those odd 4 shot ''derrengers' one time.. was at a guys table.. I picked it up.. looked it over.. broke it open.. tnad there was a cci ( aluminum cased ) laoded 357 mag in one of the pipes!!! OMG!!! laying on the table.. for anyone to pickup and dry fire! I dumped that out fast.. that one made me turn white for a moment!
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dont kick yourself too hard SG. only a complete idiot would pick up a gun and dry fire it without first checking the breech for live ammunition, just as you did... Bottom line, dont leave your guns out around idiots, or, do, and just stand back and observe the natural selection process work.. ;)