NEED Cleaning Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by back_woods_4life, Oct 15, 2012.

1. back_woods_4life

back_woods_4life New Member

im having the worst luck with my Yugo M24/47 8mm Mauser!

the bolt is in great shape and firing pin looks excellent! good strong spring inside....it shot great when i got it, but started snapping on me shortly after. i took the bolt apart and cleaned it (which obviously hadnt been done in years) and it shot great that afternoon at the range...however, two weeks later, its snapping on me again...i once again took the bolt apart and cleaned it, and its shooting great again!!

the first time i cleaned it with "Rem Oil" but it didnt seem to help for very long, i used a can of spray lube on it the second time, which is thinner and im sure wont do much better!!...what would be a good Product to lube the inside of my bolt and keep this gun shooting for more than one week at a time????
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Use a solvent like mineral spirits. Submerge the bolt in it to soak for a day or two. Use a pipe cleaner or similar thing to break up whatever grease is left inside the bolt cavity for the firing pin. You have to get it all out and something that is dripped in or sprayed in just won't do it. You need agitation too like the scrubbing action you would get with a pipe cleaner. Even a probe like a long skinny screw driver blade would do.

LDBennett
  4. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

After that good cleaning use a dry-film lube like EEZOX to keep things from gumming up and holding on to dirt, dust, powder residue that can turn to mud.
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Make sure the bolt is totally clean, use brake cleaner and compressed air or clean as above. If all the old grease/cosmoline is out and you are still having issues disassemble and check for any bends or burrs on firing pin that may be a problem when they heat up after firing. First the bolt needs to be spotless.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Old grease and dirt can get into the front of the bolt and settle there. Spraying softens it for a time, then it hardens again. Solvents will work, but sometimes just plain hot or even boiling water poured into the back of the bolt body will do the job.

Jim
  7. back_woods_4life

back_woods_4life New Member

ok, this give me a good place to start. ill clean it with a pipe cleaner and some hot water. the first time i took it apart, it was caked with a rusty orange goop. the second time i had it apart, i noticed some more of it that had broken loose after shooting it again, that i had missed the first time.. years of storage hurt it more than it helped it. it cleaned up good and looks like new inside the bolt now, its just drying out

im a locksmith, i keep a good supply of Graphite on hand, would that or regular grease be ok for it - after its cleaned better???
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012