Need Curry Chicken Recipe

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JUNKKING, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

My wife and I went to this Chinese place a few weeks ago and they had Curry Chicken on the buffet. I tried it and now I can't get enough. It's like I am addicted to it. They cook it with potato chunks. Although the potatoes don't take on the spice, The chicken is sneaky. Once it's in it starts to get warm. I DO NOT like spicy foods too much but this is an exception. JUNK
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Hey JUNK, theres a curry sauce that my mother always used, very tasty and it's in most stores S&B - Golden Curry Sauce. she mixes in lots of veggies and chopped chicken and puts it all in the crock pot for 6-8 hrs and then serves it over a bed of rice. Curry is one of those things like chili, chilli or chile, it's best to try a lot of different ones, because they're all a little different. Here's one that may be close to what you're looking for, just add some cubed boiled potatoes near the end.

Chicken Curry in a Hurry Recipe

Ingredients
    1 Tbsp corn, grapeseed, or olive oil
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons yellow curry powder, or to taste
    4 skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)*
    1 cup sour cream
    Minced fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish

Method
    *Some chicken breasts are bigger than others. We had two huge breast halves that added up to 1 1/2 pounds. To make them more serving sized, we sliced each half in half, horizontally, to make 4 breast pieces.

1 Put the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the onions (and optional raisins), sprinkle with some salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium, sprinkle with half of the curry powder, and continue to cook a minute or two.

2 Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle it with the remaining curry powder. Move the onion to one side of the skillet and add the chicken in one layer. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.

3 Add the sour cream and stir constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture is nice and thick. Return the chicken to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes, or until cooked through, turning once.

Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve with rice.

Serves 4.
  3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Thanks Woolleyworm. I tell you this stuff is great! I actually took this Chinese guy that owns the place to one of my favorite ponds and taught him how to catch Japanese Goldfish LOl (carp) I asked him if they were going to the buffet he said no for himself. He steams them and they're supposed to be good. I will take his word for it. Bottom line is he won't tell me how to make the chicken.

the recipe you posted is way too involved for what I want. What your mom made in the crock pot sounds good to me. Thanks, JUNK
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

the crock pot version is very very tasty and easy. I'll try to get a "formal" recipe from my mother tomorrow.
  5. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Sweet!! I appreciate it. One more thing. Is the curry what makes it spicy? I never had it before but I think I am addicted to it. JUNK
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Curry is a varied blend of spices, there are no "set" curry spices. The curries tend to vary upon regions, some are much spicier than others. I happen to love curry and anything to do with cooking in general. Here's a couple of great links for curry sites.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/chicken-curry-recipe.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_chicken

My personal best food site :

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?searchString=chicken+curry&site=food&searchType=Recipe

Moms recipe has potatoes,onion, carrots, celery and the S&B curry mix ( 2 pkts) cut the veggies into large chunks, put 4 whole chicken breasts into crock pot, cover with curry sauce. use chicken broth to mix the sauce. add veggies over the top and give a pat down, then cook for 5-6 hours on low. serve over a bed of rice.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Well it now seems that some body has stirred my curiosity:rolleyes: Looks like I need to look into this strange and exotic dish you call curry :D
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Moderator

Curry truly is the cooking equivalent of reloading......... there's so many different "powders" and complexities to it. Trials and testing are required. Me personally, I prefer Indian curries over Chinese/Asian curries. Curry shrimp is my favorite, with lots of basil and cilantro for garnish. Curry always gives me that nice warm satisfied feeling on a cold winter day; hearty and healthy.
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Thanks for the recipe woolley I will have the crock pot going Sunday as we have a picnic tomorrow and I wont be here to chomp it. I think the curry they use at this place is Malaysian.
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Jeff if you like a little spice this stuff is addicting. I was laying watching tv last night thinking about woolley getting the recipe from his mom and if this place was open I would have fired up the old truck and hopped on down for more curry chicken.
  11. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

yesterday I went to a picnic and before I left I made a recipe I got off of the internet that was simple just as I was looking for, Simply chicken curry olive iol and potatoes. All day I was thinking of coming home to this. Last night my bride and I got home and my crock pot crapped the bed. It looked liKE it worked for a while as the chicken was partially cooked but was I ever disappointed. I guess I will need a new crock pot and try this again SOON!!