need die sets for OLD pacific power c press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by derfregal, Feb 5, 2012.

1. derfregal

derfregal New Member

im new to reloading. My dad just gave me his old power "c" press and i want to buy die sets for .40 cal and .223. will any hornady or dillon die set work with this press or do i need to look for a specific die set to work in this press? where do i begin to shop for die sets? like I said, just got the press today so I know near nothing about reloading. thanks for any help you can give!
    derf**out**
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If its threaded 7/8X14 then yes any die set will fit in it. Also the ram has to be able to accept std shellholders.

Post a few pics of the press. Id be able to tell you yea or nea by lookin at pics of it.
  3. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. if thats the one it will indeed.
  5. derfregal

derfregal New Member

gonna get some pics up soon so you can positivelt ID the thing! thanks for the quick and helpful responses!
    derf**out**
  6. derfregal

derfregal New Member

just like new in the box. last used early 70's has some 30-06 and .357 die sets! Could you steer me in the right direction in which die sets to get...is any one better than the next. seems the choices are endless. any input/opinions is/are appreciated.
    derf**out**
    IMAG0629.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0630.jpg

IMAG0631.jpg
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Pacific was purchased by Hornady that is why all their stuff looks like Pacific stuff.
  8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

drefergal, hopefully your dad is not throwing to the wolves, and he gave you some instructions and reloading manuels with your press.
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That Power-C kit is in really nice shape. A good press and all the rest of the goodies are still very usable too.

And as JLA posted, yes you can use the standard 7/8"-14 dies from any maker in it.
    For new die sets, you can check any of the online shooting supply houses (MidwayUSA, Grafs, natchez Shooters Supply, etc).
    While you're shopping, be sure to look for a newer reloading manual for more current data for the cartridges you're wanting to reload.
    Peruse through the "sticky" threads that LDBennett has posted at the top of this forum for more info on how to get started.
    If you have any other questions on getting started, feel free to ask them here too.

Start with a newer manual and read through the how-to sections at the beginning of the book. This will give you the basic concepts on what's going on when you're reloading and all the steps and processes involved.
    The Hornady and the Lyman reloading manuals are the two that I like to recommend. Both of them do a good job of explaining the reloading process.

Welcome to TFF!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  10. derfregal

derfregal New Member

@joe : most if not all the paperwork is there as my father keeps everything,,still has reloading rcpts from the 80's! haha
    @bindernut will do thanks for the supply houses. theres sooo much info out there its good just to nail down a few options or an experienced reloaders "opinion"!
    thanks JLA and Hawg for the input as well!
  11. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I wish I was given a setup like that a few years ago when I started out .Looks like you got a beam scale,powder measure,funnels and maybe more.Do like others have said about reading the stickys and at least a couple of reloading manuals.(I too like the Lyman books).Decide what else you need other than dies,case trimmer etc. to get started.Read all you can get your hands on and good luck!
  12. mikld

mikld Active Member

Great looking set-up. For good info on reloading/reloading equipment, I'd suggest The ABCs of Reloading. This text covers all aspects or "rollin' yer own"; tools, brass, powders, primers, bullets, even casting lead bullets...
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sweet that right there is known as NOS! Barely used New Old Stock, your dad either loved that machine or never used it and it will last a lifetime under failry heavy use. Thats definitely a keeper. Yes, std 7/8X14 dies will fit it as well as std shellholders. They just dont make em like that no more. Only way to get a stronger press is to go with an RCBS Rockchucker 2. But its designed with accomodating the BMG in mind.