need feedback

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by gunlearner, Feb 20, 2007.

1. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

i was talking to a person who believes that a person under preasure like an attack, no matter how much he/she trains, will not place the finger outside the trigger. and that the person wont use any of the tactics practice in a drill.
    how can i explain in a better way that muscle memory will kick in.
    can some one help me bring this person out of the darkness.

basically i ask this because i want to teach people to use their guns properly and in a responsable way. most people i know here buy a gun with out knowing what double action or single action is, or the basics of the gun.
    my idea is to bring knowledge of use to people

(here is the other question) do you think am wasting my time???

thanks
    vr

gl
  2. clmanges

clmanges New Member

Depends on the person. All you can do is try, and if their eyes glaze over, or they start contesting your views (especially if they do so angrily), you can stop there.
    The person in question might be convinced if you told them that military training works exactly because of what you say. You might take the discussion another direction, though, and ask them, if they're driving their car and someone jumps out in front of them on the street, do they hit the brake pedal without thinking about it, or not?
    Keep trying to educate people; just know that they'll keep trying your patience.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you get a gun that fits you well it starts to become natural, I have seen a lot of people exspecially Law Enforcement shoot themselfs in the leg and foot while drawing their Glock, So it is something my finger automatically does not something that is remembered that is why range time so important and needed
  4. Absolutely correct, Southern. That's the way the human brain works, it builds patterns of behavior, sort of like "default" settings on a computer. Indeed, that's how humans learn language. The process is similar with most things: practice builds a pattern which the brain automatically follows even in times of stress. For example, if someone switched the letters "S" and "O" on your computer keyboard what would happen? No matter how you tried you would type "Osuthernohsster" instead of "Southernshooter." :D
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Have you ever dropped a knife, then tried to catch it? Sometimes the results are good (Whew, that was close) Sometimes the results are not so good (Sure wish I hadn’t tried to catch that thing)

Sometimes, even though your brain is saying no, the body is reacting to how it’s been trained. Reaction, habit. It is the same with firearms, with enough training (the right way) you don’t have a choice as to how you will react.

Gun comes out of holster, safety goes off, finger along side the frame. We see it all the time with competition shooters.
  6. It extends even further, Pick. If you think about it, that is exactly how the military trains men to react in combat. It is essential to react automatically, there is very often no time to "think" or "remember" when the excretory material meets the rotary impeller.
  7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

this is what i tell everyone that i've taken to the range. (well, pretty much, not in those exact words.:p ) you will do what you practice, that's why i make everyone i take to the range shoot DAO after the 1st few rounds. they ask why & the previous is what i tell them. (i'll give them the 1st few rounds of SA to get used to actually shooting my gun, i havent taken anyone yet that owns their own.)

its not a lost cause gunlearner! you just gotta take em on an individual basis.
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

It's a fact...you will fight as you train. Whatever good or bad habits a person has in practice will be duplicated in real application. A decade of service, 25 months in combat, and training over 1,000 recruits and a whole bunch of other people I can draw on enough examples that I have zero doubt...whatever you do in training you will do the exact same damn thing under stress.

As far as fingers in the trigger guard...

One trick I've seen that is fine for sidearms and longarms...during reflexive "dry" fire drills tape over the whole trigger guard with duct tape...after several sessions the urge to check the trigger by feel is reduced...some people take longer to learn...reenforce that during more "dry" then "live" fire (obviously without tape) and eventually you have a pesron who only touches the trigger once the are actually in firing squence.

"Searching" for the trigger is an issue. The issue is a LACK OF CONFIDENCE in their weapon and self ability...likely from lack of realistic training. Attack the issue for what it is.
  9. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

thank you all for all those comments and could i use your quotes on my training program??? i need to ask first.

vr

gl
  10. Jay

Jay New Member

proof....... tell me how a gymnast has time to think of his/her next move, hand placement, etc...... they don't..... it's an evolution of movement that results from many hours of repetition.