1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

need fireing pin for old spanish semi-auto

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

jimmar
    (5/31/02 6:00:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All need fireing pin for old spanish semi-auto
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a pistol same as the one pictured in auction arms#2758600, I missed bidding on it. I need the fireing pin and spring and any other info i can get on it? can anyone identify the manufacturer? It was brought back by my father from WWII as "captured enemy equiptment". I'd like to get it opperating again. Thanks, jim

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/31/02 7:46:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: need fireing pin for old spanish semi-auto
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome Aboard Jim!

One of our folks will be along soon to try and help
    answer your question.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/31/02 8:19:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: need fireing pin for old spanish semi-auto
    Hi Jim.....and welcome to TFF.

Stick around.....Bob in St. Louis is our resident expert on Spanish pistols. If he doesn't have the part, he may know where you can get one.

What he doesn't know about Spanish Iron (or Pot Metal), isn't worth knowing.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/31/02 8:23:16 pm)
    Jim - I looked at that auction and was half way tempted to bid on it, but the piece was in pretty bad condition. Collector's Firearms in Houston, TX was selling this piece, and they advertised it as a likely 1920s vintage pistol - which is possible, but that particular design for a 25ACP with 10 round mag was more popular prior to WWI - more like in the 1910 to 1915 time frame. Esperanza y Unceta (which later became Astra) was manufacturing this style of pistol prior to WWI, with the trade names "Union" or "Victoria". There were cheaper knock-off copies made by other cottage industries in the Eibar region that may not have been labeled as to manufacturer. This particular one illustrated appears to have no name, and the grip panels (one of which is put on upside down) do not appear to be original. I am sorry to say that most of these early pieces were mostly hand fashioned, and a "replacement" part may be hard to come by. It would be easier to have a gunsmith make you a new firing pin.

If you get a chance to examine the pistol closely, let me know if there are any proof marks, letter codes, makers name, etc. that may help to tie it down better.

Welcome to the board, keep coming back!

(P.S. - is yours 25 acp or 32 acp? Pistols of this design in 32 acp (7.65mm) were cranked out by the millions during WWI for contract fullfillment with the French government - those would be a lot easier to find parts for. Gun Parts Corporation would likely have them).
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Edited by: Bob In St Louis at: 5/31/02 9:27:41 pm

jimmar
    (6/1/02 9:15:20 am)
    Bob, thanks for the quick reply. The pistol I have has " 6.35 model " stamped in the slide in front of the "Automatic Pistol". It has the circle and crown with a P inside on the slide, barrel, and reciever. In the same area on the reciever " just to the rear of the top grip screw" it has the letter B with the * above it. and a shield with an X in it with a crown above. I can't find a manufacturer's name anywhere.
    The problem i have getting a pin machined is that i dont have the original to measure. Hopefully that wont be a problem for an experienced gunsmith. Ive written to the winning bidder of the similar pistol, maybe he can send me a sketch with dimensions. I did notice in the picture on AA that the other pistol has an A stamped in the reciever just behind the top screw. "same place as the B on mine". well, like i said before , any help would be appreciated. Jim

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/1/02 3:53:29 pm)
    The "B" with "*" over it is a year date code of 1928 - so it is a post WWI production. The other markings are the Eibar pistol nitro proofs. The problem with the Eibar region is that there were a multitude of manufacturers making pistols up till Franco shut down all the pistol manufacturers except for the big four (Astra, Llama, Star, and Echasa) in the late 1930s. After WWI, a lot of these manufacturers cranked out "no name" pistols that were sold in large lots to jobbers for export. It would be hard to find a reliable replacement part without knowing the manufacturer. Hopefully the fellow that won the pistol on AA will send you the info!

An additional thought - the Germans (particularly officers) often bought personal carry sidearms of smaller caliber, and they did have a fondness for smaller Spanish made pistols. One major importer into Germany was "Geco", and often you will find a small "Geco" stamped into the right side of the receiver to the rear and above the trigger. I have several Llama and Star pistols in 32ACP with this mark. I wish I could peg the maker down better for your pistol, but that was a wild time period in the Eibar region, and lots of unmarked pistols were being produced. That is part of my fascination with this area and era - lots of sleuthing!

Edited by: Bob In St Louis at: 6/1/02 9:04:51 pm

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/1/02 8:30:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: need fireing pin for old spanish semi-auto
    Bob, correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like a typical Ruby-pattern pistol. If so, the firing pin shouldn't be that hard...
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/2/02 2:54:11 pm)
    It looks like the typical Ruby pattern, but it is a slightly smaller frame, and 25ACP instead of 32ACP. It is possible to take a firing pin from one of the numerous post-WWI 25ACP pistols, and do a little fitting modification (with a file-file here, and a file-file there) to make it fit.

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/2/02 7:33:36 pm)
    In general, I find Collector's Firearms to be pretty high priced, though I did buy a gun from them quite a while back.

On the firing pin, if you can find another gun, it's usually pretty simple to fabricate one from scratch, I suspect the design is not all that complex. A little time with a file and you're there. You can then flame harden it a bit to make it ready for use.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/6/02 1:59:36 pm)
    Just noticed that Collectors Firearms has that pistol back up for auction again - the deal must have fallen through with the previous winner.

jimmar
    (6/8/02 8:40:44 am)
    Thanks for the info Bob. i'll try not to let it get away this time.