Need First 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by tspeck007, Oct 23, 2007.

1. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

I'd like to buy my first large caliber handgun and think I want a 1911.

I'm looknig for a 1911 that shoots well out of the box. I'd like something good quality and priced well. IOW I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

I intend to play with it at the range and to use at IDPA-type shoots plus whatever else appeals to me.

Please offer makes, models, and if possible likely good prices I should expect to pay.

MUCH thanks in advance.
  2. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

bang for buck = taurus pt1911

at least thats what I gathered in my research and the reason I bought one, couldn't be happier.

The absolute ONLY complaint I have is that the blueing seems to be somewhat easy to rub off. Its showing wear on the grip safety where my hand rests and the tip of the barrel where it rubs on my tactical vest
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I hafta agree with the Taurus, or the Springfield, or the Sig series of 1911 pistols, or the Colt Models.

Then there are the Doublestar 1911s, and some older models like Randall (if you can find any), the AMTs and any of the WWI & WWII contract pistols, Remington Rand, Singer, Ithaca, US Switch & Signal, and International Harvester.

There may be others but I'm not sure. These contract pistols will run $1000 up to $6000 or more.

Depends on how much you have and what you want to spend.

Good luck.
  4. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

Thanks to both of you.

Question, if you're looking to spend say, $600, on a Springfield what model/submodel would you recommend? Can one buy a quality springfield with the right mix of useful features for $600? Can one do so for $500?
  5. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

Rots of ruck with that. Around here, $600 barely gets you a basic G.I. Model. It IS Kalifornia though.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

A Kimber or Springfield Loaded model can be purchased for a little more money. Both are top of the line 1911's and make great IDPA pistols.

Also check out the used market in your area.

Good luck.
  7. cec

cec New Member

Are you thinking new or used? Around here a Kimber Custom II costs around $630 new and maybe just shy of $600 used. Same for the Springfield versions.

Both are great pistols out of the box and provide an excellent springboard for future upgrades.

The $500 mark is pushing. You may be able to find a more abused weapon for that, but you will easily spend the $100 savings getting back into shape.
  8. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

There's not a great used market in Austin that I've found.

I was thinking new, but haven't done enough research yet on 1911s. I'm looking for any large caliber pistol so far, but the 1911 so far is the one that I've found that I really, really like. Aside from my 22 all others haven't interested me that much.
  9. BigBoom44

BigBoom44 New Member

I just got my first 1911. It is a Springfield G.I. and I love it. It shot great right out of the box with no malfunctions what so ever. The action is smooth as silk as is the trigger. Great gun. My son has a Springfield Champion and It was perfect right out of the box too.
  10. KJHB

KJHB New Member

I just bought a Kimber 1911 Custom TLE II and love it. I bought wilson 8 round mags to comply with IDPA regs on some levels if I wanted to. The gun came with night sights and is great. It cost $850.00 and is worth it.
  11. ThunderStick300MAG

ThunderStick300MAG New Member

Taurus PT1911....

The Taurus 1911 features a forged frame, slide and barrel and comes fully loaded with approximately $1600 worth of premium accessories built-in as standard equipment. Chambered in .45 ACP with a 5' custom fitted barrel, the Taurus 1911 integrates nineteen custom features, including an ambidextrous safety, skeletonized trigger, target hammer, serrated slide, checkered trigger guard, mainspring housing and front strap, genuine Heinie 'Straight Eight' 2-dot sights, a polished feed ramp, lowered and flared ejection port, custom internal extractor, beavertail grip safety with memory pad, extended magazine release and more. All the major components are custom forged not cast from ordnance grade steel and every component of the original 1911 design is machined by Taurus to tolerance levels that surpass even today's industry standards. As an added commitment to quality, the Taurus 1911 is the only production 1911 imprinted with matching serial numbers on the frame, slide and barrel, ensuring every gun is hand-assembled, hand-mated and hand-fitted for a flawless function. Available in several finishes and variations, including the original matte blue steel, and new for 2007: Matte blue steel with integral accessory rail; two-tone matte/high polished blue steel; stainless steel; stainless steel with rail and a new Ultra-Lite model with forged alloy frame. All models of the 1911 come equipped with two, eight-round magazines with bumper pads. --from www.taurususa.com

and looks damn fine with a set of rosewoods i might add.