1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Need gun advice.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Small.Shooter, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Small.Shooter

Small.Shooter New Member

I am going to get my CHL and I plan on carrying my 1911 most of the time. But I also want another gun or two to wear depending my wardrobe and time of year. I really want to carry a small framed top break revolver like an Iver Johnson or a H&R. Any ideas on what I can look for. It will be in a shoulder rig under my vest.
  2. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

That type of gun was popular in a very limited number of spaghetti westerns, but in real life, the design is simply not strong enough to support an effective defensive round. For a shoulder rig under a vest, you'd be miles ahead to go with a Glock 36 in .45 ACP (7 shots) or a 26 in 9mm (11 shots).
    In your strong side pocket, carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster. You'll be Mr. Badass, if the need arises.
  3. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

If you want to carry a small revolver, I would suggest something along the lines of a Jframe S&W or a Colt Detective Special, either of which is MUCH stronger than any top break, and the 38 Spec cartridge is infinitely more effective than the 38 S&W round. Even the Rossi, Taurus, and Charter's are a better option than the old top break 38 S&W revolvers.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First welcome to the forum! And to the world of Concealed Carry! I don't know if I can help you out that much, but here goes.

I carry a 1911A1 my self, but I don't use the shoulder holster for several reasons, I use a Yaqui style belt slide holster, OWB (One the Waist Band). If you will check around with some of the sites that teach Concealed Carry there are two methods of carry that none of them recomend very much, the first is behind the back, and the second is the shoulder carry. Both methods will require extra time in drawing the gun, and both methods require you to cross some part of your body with the muzzle of the gun. For a second carry gun, or Back Up Gun, (BUG) I also like the revolver, and carry a Charter Arms Off Duty in .38, as my BUG, with a pocket holster. Sometimes I carry a Charter Arms Bull Dog in .44spl, along with a speed loader to have extra rds. It has the same bullistics as the .45ACP. It is lighter, and easier to carry than the .45, but you only get 5 shots with it. I also carry it OWB with a Yaqui style holster. To get either of these two guns to conceal I simply buy my shirts one size larger that what I normally wear. The big problem with the shoulder rig is that you must wear a cover garment, and you can't take it off if you get a little warm! Carring the gun on my right hip, I usually just wear a T shirt in the summer months. If it gets cold, I tuck the shirt in, and put on a jacket.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the ruger LCR 357 revolver. It is light as a feather (made from poly) and is easy to conceal and packs a punch. There are many great options but the LCR is probably the lightest of them all.
  6. Small.Shooter

Small.Shooter New Member

I am going to use a shoulder rig because I work outside for most of the time and only wear Wranglers. Since Wranglers don't have much extra room I only have enough room for a small pistol. I would like an Iver Johnson or H&R because I like the way they feel in my hand and the ease of loading a top break. I don't wear shirts untucked very often so a outside the pants isnt a very good option for me. I will look into a small charter revolver or Taurus. I would like something with a 4" barrel.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Both companies have guns with 4" barrels, but maybe not in the calibers you want. Charter does make the Bull Dog with a 4" barrel in .44spc, it's called the Target Model. Take a look at the "Super Tuck Deluxe", http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/S...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName It can be worn with you shirt tail tucked in, from what I've been told. I don't own one. I also wear Wrangler Jeans, sometimes when I want to dress up some, I tuck in my undershirt, and wear a cover shirt, untucked.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. Small.Shooter

Small.Shooter New Member

Out of the revolver brands out there is there one where a novice can change out the barrel. I have shot the Off Duty from Charter Arms and like the way it handles, but would like to have a longer barrel than the 2" snubbie. I am going to look into the Super Tuck since it is highly recommended on other threads and would like to know if anyone knows a good place to order a shoulder rig that is comfortable for all day use.
  9. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Not sure if you are serious or not. When I first read your post I thought i had been transported to the 30's -40's. Please don't take offense, but firearms have been used and abused, studied and improved upon quite often since they made the break top revolver. I won't drag this out but will say I'm a large man, they dont' make a pair of jeans that aren't tight on me. (nuff said) and I always carry. When I get up in the morning and stuff my large frame into a pair of pants, I have a firearm in them. After carrying a 2" 38 through the streets of the city as a police officer, occationally carrying larger and more formidable (sp) weapons, I found, day to day carry, from bed to WaWa to bed, the Ruger LCP .380 gave me more firepower and a better cartridge than the .38 service weapon I carried for so many years. I found a Lowes cell phone holder that holds phone and extra clip, so with little effort I have a reliable .380 6+1 shot revolver with a clip of 6 more in my phone belt case. The gun doesn't have a hammer and will not hang up on your clothes. It probably doesn't cost more than a H&R break top. It is as accurate as a 2" .38 (I've qualified with it) and I think an excellant round. Yes, it ain't no .45, but when you are standing at line at the Dairy Queen, in your shorts and Tshirt, and your .45 is under your seat, it's in your hand.
    (HOLLY CRAP, I JUST HAD AN BIG ANT COME ACCROSS MY COMPUTER DESK AND WHEN I WENT TO CRUSH IT IT BIT ME, OR STUNG ME OR SOMETHING. WTF....I JUST CUT IT INTO LITTLE PIECES. ITS STILL MOVING. GOTTA GO.)
    Sorry, I'm back. anyway. The little .380 is an awsome gun. I've recently seen pics of wounds from .380 jacketed bullets which are gruesome. From what I have read, they have more effect than the .38s I depended on for years.
    In any event, stay legal, read up on everything, and protect your family.
    fred
  10. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Look around a bit here:
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/124gr%20+P%20Speer%20Gold%20Dot.html
    I started with the 124 gr. Gold Dot because it was fired from a Glock 26, as I suggest for your vest gun. Note that penetration and expansion are nearly equal to the .45 ACP, with the 200 gr. Gold Dot. Actually, penetration is a bit less, but expansion is MORE.
    Use the index on the left side of the page to compare other calibers. Check the 124 gr. Golden Saber:
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/124%20grain%20+P%20Remington%20Golden%20Saber.html
    and see that it actually performed BETTER than .45 ACP. That test was fired with a 4" barrel, as you would have in the Glock 19, which also disappears in a shoulder rig.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

Charter does make a 6 shooter with a 5" barrel, model #73860 Police Bulldog, Stainless. I do not know of any revolver other than the Dan Wesson that would allow you to change the barrels to different lengths. You can purchase the barrel length you want, and have a smith change it out, or do it yourself it you are quilified. Another choice would be to buy the longer barrel gun, and a smith cut it to what you want.
  12. LCConrad

LCConrad New Member

A shoulder rig requires always wearing a jacket over it,a small revolver j frame size fits better in a belt, ankle, or pocket holster. I have carried daily for some 35 plus years, if nothing else then a pocket 380. Drop the top break idea and go with a modern design.
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I don't have any answers or suggestions but I do have a question. I understand some people prefer revolvers, some auto pistols, but why would someone prefer to carry a pistol as a primary sidearm but carry a revolver as a back up? Much more potent weapons can be had in a more concealable package with an auto. (Peronally I'd rather carry more magazines for my pistol than carry another gun as a backup but I realize some feel they are necessary)
  14. Small.Shooter

Small.Shooter New Member

I have looked into a long barreled revolver and decided to wait a year or two of carrying before I pick up one. But I have decided to buy a Radom P64 for the times I don't want to carry the 1911. Thank you all for all your help and I will take you advice on my next gun purchase.
  15. vytoland

vytoland New Member

:)take a good look at any of the S&W "J" frame revolvers for ccw. light, accurate and reliable.