need help and advice

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 88m, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 88m

88m New Member

i am trying to learn the difference between a semi automatic and an automatic, the difference in which i am speaking of would are the trigger mechanisms.. is that the only difference in the transition from semi to automatic? or is there something else i need to know? what parts do i need? and where can i get these parts? the firearm i am converting is an AR15
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Are you in the United States? If you are, what you are suggesting is illegal as hell, and has been since May of 1986.
  3. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Holy crapzola 88m! :eek: Talk about wanting to play with fire. Alpo's right!

Hey Alpo, remember the days when the disconnects (and other parts) were readily available through Shotgun News?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I remember when you could buy a new MP5 for 500 dollars. Ahh, missed chances.

July 1980. The guy at the gun shop convinces me that I do NOT want to buy that 1928 Thompson, for 450 bucks, because I do not want to have to mess with the Federal paperwork. In January 1998, my 1928 Thompson cost me five grand.

And in January of 04, my MP5 cost twelve.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I bought M1928 TSMG's for $75, M1 TSMG's for $65, STENs for $9.95, M3 SMGs for $12.95, and BARs for $79. All DEWAT's. In the 1968 amnesty, I opened up and registered the stuff I still had. A year or so ago I sold my auto weapons for what I will only describe as a profit. I opposed the 1986 law, but have to admit I made some money from it.

Jim
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

First get your C&R and then pay for your ATF tax stamp to own a automatic then we could get into it.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Helix, first, what does he need a C&R for? Second, you pay the tax on the gun, so you need to get the gun all set up before you do the tax. And third, he wants to convert, and you can't that any more.
  8. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Alpo is correct. An individual can not manufacture a machine gun since May 1986. This includes "conversion" of a semi-automatic rifle, regardless of when that semi-automatic rifle was originally manufactured.

We build registered M-16 rifles but they can only be sold to a law-enforcement agency (not to individual officers), a government agency or to a NFA dealer who can produce documentation of a demo request by a law-enforcement or government agency.

A Curio & Relic license would have no bearing, and an individual cannot get a tax stamp for any fully automatic weapon manufactured after 1986. What the original poster is suggesting is illegal.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

nevermind, didnt read into it enough
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

And isn't it interesting that the OP hasn't been back to the thread, and one of his other two posts have been wanting to buy ballistic plates for his 'new vest.'

Maybe its just up-and-up genuine questions...
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012