Need help choosing a .380

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hackercat13, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I've had the Kel-Tec P3AT for several years. It's not a range gun so I've only put a couple hundred rnds. through it without a single burp. I'd choose it over any of the others mentioned. Some of them are simply Kel-Tec clones.
  2. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

I've owned a LCP for a little over a year. Have about 500 through the pipe with zero issues from round one. It's not a perfect pistol but for the price it's solid. The LCP to me is like the Glock 19 of pocket guns. May not be the best but you can't go wrong with it.

That being said I think the S&W may be a better deal. The features are better and the inclusion of a laser for just $30-50 more is a pretty good deal. Only major grip with the bodyguard is the placement of the laser button.
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a person is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable.
    Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
  4. Thumper01

Thumper01 New Member

I own an LCP and, compared to the Kel Tek, there's not that many differences. Both pistols have a long trigger pull {the LCP's trigger felt more comfortable-to me}. My LCP took a little "breaking-in." Out of the first 200 hundred rounds fired, I only had two ejects stovepipe. After that initial break-in, I haven't had a bit of trouble with it..it's 'very' concealable and very accurate for that 10-20 ft shot {it is what it is}. It's easy to break down and clean and fits just about anywhere for concealment. The only down-side to owning a .380 is the price of ammo...good luck and welcome to the club!
  5. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

So I took the plunge yesterday and purchased an LCP. I will be heading out to the range today, so I'll post about that a bit later.
    Thanks all!
    Chris
  6. ole iron sights

ole iron sights New Member

i agree with jay , in the old days when you had earned the respect and finally got a gun , i am sure it wasn't new . it may have been an heirloom or a present from some one, did it fit? who knows till ya get used to it and learned how to hit something with it...... yeah it fit !
    oh yea didn't hear anyone tell ole' granny the double barrel was to big for her
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  7. Pro-Gun"Liberal"

Pro-Gun"Liberal" New Member

What about the colt mustang? I have never fired one, but Colt tends to make good weapons and I can't help but LOVE the looks. It's just an extremely scaled down 1911, about the size of a p3at, just thicker. Anyone that cannot appreciate the looks of the 1911 has no aesthetic sense, IMO.

But again, I have not fired it. Anyone use that gun? It certainly needs to put reliable fire out whether it looks good or not...
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I see you selected a LCP, probably a good choice. I have never had a LCP but do own a LCR. If I had made a suggestion before, I would have suggested that you look at the Sig P-238. It is a pretty close copy of the Colt Mustang.

How did your range session go?
  9. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

[​IMG]

I am in love! I shot 100 rounds on Winchester White box through it, no FTF or FTEs. This is the last 2 mags (12 rounds) at 25 feet. That is a 6 inch target, 10 of 12 on the target, and the 2 just below and right. I am sure the gun can do better, but that DA trigger takes some getting used too!

Chris
  10. coonbait

coonbait New Member

if you reload finding the brass from either the LCP or the kel-tec is a pain in the a$$ those things fly 20-30 feet away....
  11. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

I did notice it is rather enthusiastic about ejecting a spent round! My other .380 is a Makarov, so I am used to brass flying around!
    Chris
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

bersa thunder or sig p238.
  13. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

I have been carrying it in a desantis nemesis holster in my back pocket, or inside pocket of my jacker when cold. I may go for a bulldog cell phone holster or a true wallet holster next, I like having options that fit different clothing needs. I wouldn't recommend going no-holster, it's so small, it can flop around in your pocket, and end up in a position not condusive to accessing it quickly.
  14. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

Nope, unless I have a big jacket or a fanny pack, in which case I prob have my Makarov. I figure I may get off 1/2 the clip, and then it's hand to hand time. I do have a second mag for the LCP, but it's not something I have put much thought into. Maybe I'll re-evaluate that.
    Chris
  15. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

Yeah, in the glove box makes sense, just not on me. That's the reason I got an LCP, it's small, and I never think "man, I don't want to strap this thing on today."
    I may try a set of Wolff heavier-duty recoil springs though, it is a bit of a noisy cricket!