Need Help coverting Rem 870 extended magazine tube assembly (+2) to a standard tube

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by peteyb, Dec 24, 2010.

1. peteyb

peteyb New Member

So I just purchased a Remington 870 Express with a 2 shot extension magazine tube. However, I have since sold the 2 shell extension (6 shells in the tube) and now am now wanting to install a standard 4 shell capacity magazine tube.

The extension kit only contained the Magazine Tube Extension Assembly, a magazine spring, and a magazine tube coupling. I know that to convert it back to original I will need a standard magazine cap and magazine spring. However, I am not certain whether or not I will also need a magazine spring retainer and an endcap, since neither of these parts were used with my extender.

The problem is that alot of the newer models of the 870 are slightly different than the older models, and since mine is one of the newest models (with the "corn-cob" style texture on the fore end) I dont know if an endcap and spring retainer are necessary. Thank in advance for the help.