Need help I.D.'ing old military rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hkruss, Nov 28, 2009.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

An elderly man I know, has a rifle that was given to him. I told him I would see if you guys could I.D. the rifle for him. Pictures were made with a cell phone camera so quality sucks. Even if you are not sure what it is, please give your best guess.
    One note. The only markings on the rifle were (and I'm going on memory here, so I could be mistaken) an H followed by four numbers. I wrote them down, but now I can't find them. I believe they are slightly visible in the last picture. There were absolutely no other visible markings, stamps or numbers on the rifle.
    One other note. I don't know if this helps, but the back sight flipped up from front to back for raising the sight to shoot at long distances. Most types I have seen, you flip up by lifting the rear and swinging it forward. Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks, HKR

Attached Files:

2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  3. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Based on the photos, you seem to be dead on.
    Any idea of a value for this rifle. Since it seems to be relatively scarce, do you think it would be worth much? I'm sure the owner does not want to sell it, but he might be interested in its value.
    One last thing. Is there some way to determine when it was made? As I said in my original post, it has an "H', followed by four numbers (which I don't remember). Maybe that will help in pin-pointing the year of production.
    Thanks again!
  4. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I haven't kept up with military rifle values, but the Type I's are usually found in nice condition because they were never really issued. While not common, they also have never brought a whole lot of money. There just isn't all that much interest in them. I would think somewhere in the $200-300 range for a clean one. They were made in the 1930's.
  5. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Looks like an Italian Carcano 6.5 I had one of those, It had a single locking bolt and about every 3rd to 4th round the bolt would open upon firing. I think I took 3 shots and had the bolt wham me in the skull. he rest of the box of 20 was fired laying on a rest with no sight picture, Just to fire it. In those 20 rounds I believe the bolt came open 6 times.
  6. heyyall_watchthis

heyyall_watchthis New Member

If memory serves, it should be chambered for either the, 6.5 Jap or the 7.7 Jap. For more info on them, check out Frank De Hass' book, Rifles of the World. There is a chapter in there on the Japanese Arisaka rifles, and there is a pic of the Carcano actioned rifle in there, along with some history on it.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those Type I rifles in good shape are going for about double what they were a few years ago. Today, a retail price of $500-600 is not uncommon for one with intact stock (not coming apart at the butt) and substantial bluing.

They arose out of a desire by Hitler to help out his pal, Mussolini, and bring his Axis partners together. He persuaded the Japanese to buy rifles they didn't really want from Italy. The result was the so-called Type I (for Italian), which used a Carcano action, combined with a conventional Mauser/Arisaka type box magazine, and a Japanese style stock with the buttstock made in two parts (upper and lower) like the Japanese rifles, and dovetailed and glued together. Apparently, the Italian glue was inferior to the Japanese, since Type I's with stock separations are fairly common, while a split stock Arisaka is very rare. They are chanbered for the 6.5 Japanese and use the standard Japanese rifle "stripper" clip, not the en-bloc clip of the Italian Carcano.

They seem to have been unwanted by the army and bucked off to the Japanese Navy. At least some show signs of combat use, probably by Navy landing parties (what Americans called "Jap Marines" even though Japan had no Marine Corps as such).

Jim