need help! i want a .308 thats a very decent price anyone?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by coreyacp, Feb 10, 2010.

1. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

I want something that is black. I want a bolt action and has sights that come with it. Any ideas? I dont want wood on it btw
  2. ARB

ARB New Member

Are, you even old enough to acquire this firearm? I was under the impression you were like 17.
  3. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Check out Mossbergs Model 100 ATR.

I have one almost as you describe except mine has no sights, just a scope. The rifles come with an adjustable trigger system so you can adjust to your liking. I dont remember the exact price I paid for mine, but it is somewhere between 4 and 5 hundred dollars.

The gun performed great out of the box for me. Pretty descent group of around 3/4" shooting it without any support using my reloads. Ill buy that for a dollar!

If thats too much I think Savage makes some descent rifles at great prices too.
    This takes you to their line of 100 ATR rifles, just scroll through all of their models. They have one as you describe thats all black with sights.
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=8
  4. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

Im turning 18 in march and my dad is wanting to get me a rifle for my birthday so its all up in the air of what i want. I like that one gosh there just so much to choose from for my first lol
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

Corey,

Check out the Savage 10 FCM Scout. Comes with sights, Accu Trigger, sling, 20" barrel (all the rage), scope mount and detachable box magazine (very cool). Don' be scared by the msrp, I saw this listed for just over $600 at Buds. This is a very accurate rifle out of the box. You won't have to spend a cent more to start shooting 'cept for ammo. This seems to fill all of your requirements to a tee. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
    It's listed under law inforcement series.

I've ordered a Remington 700 SPS and it's going to cost me more than $250 just to convert to a DBM (detachable box magazine). By the time I add a trigger job or new trigger and scope mounts and sling I'll have a lot more invested and no better a rifle than the Savage.
  6. Sandman

Sandman Member

I would go with Savage or Ruger. You can find both or $600 or less if you look around.
  7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Stevens 200 for about $300, factory drilled for a scope, made by Savage with out the accutriger but the trigger is adjustable. Very accurate out of the box. I just bought mine about a month ago. I liked it the second I picked it up in the gun shop. Check them out. Savage has a $404 MSRP but I got mine in the box for$300.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/STEVENS 200 SHORT
  8. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

It seems like savage is the way to go for it thanks guys :)
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    YES TO THE SAVAGE.IF IT DOES NOT HAVE AN ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER YOU CAN PURCHASE A CANJAR ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER FOR AROUND 80-100 DOLLARS.MINE ARE ADJUSTABLE FROM SIX OUNCES TO THREE AND ONE HALF POUNDS.I OWN THREE SAVAGE TACTICAL RIFLES AND THE BARRELS ARE THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY. OLD SEMPERFI
  10. coreyacp

coreyacp New Member

i really like remingtons but idk the tactical savages seem way cooler
  11. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

I would also go with the savage, as if you don't like the 308 cal. you can change the barrel to some other cal. you want to try out. And you can do the change your self it's pretty easy.
  12. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I wouldn't buy another Savage rifle. I had a disaster with my Savage .308 and their customer service bites. I had to go 2 months without my new rifle because they couldn't properly test the barrel as it went out. Pay a gunsmith to build you a rifle or get a Remington or Sako. You get what you pay for in the world of firearms.
  13. Sandman

Sandman Member

My dad bought me a Savage Model 110 when I was 10 years old because it was the only left handed bolt gun on the market. I am still shooting it 27 years later. In fact it is my go-to gun, very seldom use anything else. Now I don't know about the lower end rifles they are making. I am a little nervous about any rifle with a scope that you get new for $300. I would fully recommend the upper end Savages, which are still not expensive when compared to most other brands. Rugers are also very affordable and good quality.
  14. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I would say the upper end Savages are decent. The one I got was the $400 sporter with scope and what a piece of garbage. It would not hit a target on paper consistently at 100yds.

In case you didn't know the original owners of Savage sold the company back in the 90s their quality has never been nearly as good since.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010