need help! i want a .308 thats a very decent price anyone?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by coreyacp, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

Do you want semi-auto? I just bought a Saiga in 308 new for less than $500. I call it my poor man's M-14. There are many parts available for them and they are a lot of fun to shoot.
  2. redhart

redhart New Member

Thompsen Center,Venture check it out.
  3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

You can't go wrong with a Remington 700 or the Savage. Both are fine rifles. Personally, I would choose the Remington 700. I would also go with a 30-06 instead of the .308. There are more loads available for the 30-06, and every mom and pop hardware store in the U.S. stocks 30-06 cartridges. You will appreciate that if you ever go on a hunting trip and realize you left your bullets sitting on the dresser at home.
    The 30-06 is arguably the most versatile cartridge ever created. You can use lighter grain bullets to get a flat trajectory when varmint hunting, and you can use heavier grain bullets for the largest size game North America has to offer. With a .308, you are pretty much stuck with bullet grains between 150 - 180. Can you find other grain size bullets loaded in .308? Yes. Are they common? No
  4. Idempotent

Idempotent New Member

I bought a Remington 700 5R recently and I'm very satisfied with it. Granted, it's a bit out of your price range, but if you can swing the 700 SPS, that'd be fine. If you can save up another $30 you might want to look into an SPS Varmint, or another $100 to get you the SPS Tactical. They have thicker barrels, so if your primary use is target shooting, that might make sense for you.
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

Corey,

I just recieved my Remington 700 sps Tactical package. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed. I think your best option is to talk to your local shops and see (if they won't order what you want at a reasonable price) if they will do the FFL for you on a rifle you order from a place like Buds. Make sure they don't charge sales tax (they shouldn't) I found out that not all shops are equal when it comes to sales tax. I paid $25 when I got my rifle and nothing more. At another shop they charged me $30 and sales tax (it was the first time I had a rifle shipped to me so I thought it was normal). Guess which shop will be getting my business?

If you order from a place like Bud's you can order any rifle you choose and have little waiting time.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  6. guns4life

guns4life New Member

if you are looking for a 308 I would look at the ballistics on the 7mm-08 also and compare it to the 308 b4 i bought any thing the 7mm-08 doesnt kick as bad and does a great job on deer and coyotes
  7. Idempotent

Idempotent New Member

7mm-08 is fine if all you're using it for is real situations (i.e. actually trying to kill something). But if you're just looking for something to go to the range with, then .308's much greater ammo availability (which equals much cheaper prices) counts for a lot.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The last rifle I bought was a Weatherby Vanguard which I got about a month ago. I paid $428 for it. Mine was in .223 but I would think that one in .308 would be about the same amount of money. It meets all of your criteria except the sights, black synthetic stock, bolt action and no wood anywhere. You will have to buy a scope, though.
  9. al45lc

al45lc New Member

NO, you don't. I've had a number of problems with certain guns from the two ones you mentioned, Sako never resolved my customers problem with the barrel. I won't buy another Colt after their handling of two different gun issues, and Ruger blew me off even when my Gunsmith told them on the phone about the under-sized cylinder mouths on a new Blackhawk.
    I've never had an issue with Savage that wasn't resolved in good order.
    My own 110 Scout is a tack driver, and although the stock is cheap, it's durable and the rifle is reliable.
    ALL makers have problems, it's how they resolve the issue that makes the difference. Colt sucks. So does Ruger. (for me) I'm sure someone else had good interaction with these two though, so it's all perception.
    BTW, I've had issues with custom gunsmiths too. Some don't want to go back, they just want to move on to the next rifle. And with their schedule, some take a long time to get back to you.